Transmission Help Please

4 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted September 03, 2009 - 10:43 AM

A freind of mine came across a really good deal on a 2007 Yz450f. Bike appears to be in great shape and the price is def right. Only problem is the owner says the transmission is making " some noise" and that it wont go into neutral.. He says other than that the motor is solid.

My question is does anyone have an idea what he would be looking at for repairs? I would most likely be helping him out if he were to purchase the bike. I have never really worked on transmissions before but i am pretty well mechanically inclined.

I was looking at a set of gears and they go for a couple hundered bucks on ebay.. Would putting in a new set of gears eliminate any problems?? How involved is putting in new gears??

Basically just trying to figure out if he should look further into this bike or stay clear. Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2009 - 12:32 PM

The only way you'll know what's wrong is to tear the whole thing down. You can guess all day based on your description, but that's what it comes down to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wfomx463

Posted September 03, 2009 - 01:40 PM

whats envolved? like gray racer said, disassmbly of the engine and splitting of the cases. might be a clutch or gearshifting mechanism problem tho.

• bhsballer76

Posted September 03, 2009 - 06:17 PM

whats envolved? like gray racer said, disassmbly of the engine and splitting of the cases. might be a clutch or gearshifting mechanism problem tho.

yea, he is weighing the cost of the bike into hand. he could spend several hundred fixing it and it would still be a steal, assuming everything else on the bike is in good order.

• grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2009 - 06:44 PM

It could be nothing more than normal engine trans noise and a bad clutch, but you need to get an accurate idea first.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.