Decisions, decisions???

8 replies to this topic
  • 2in2out

Posted September 03, 2009 - 07:29 AM

I am in a dilema and need some advice...

First, a little background...I have a 2002 WR 426 and am 3rd owner. It's in relatively good condition. Add-ons: Devol Skid plate, frame guards, radiator guards, Jardine RT-4 exhaust, Protaper bars, Applied racing clamp, Trailtech Vapor, receiving IMS 4.0 natural tank today. Free-mods: Airbox, throttle stop, grey wire all done. I like this bike. It rails:ride: , but even though I can get it started on 1st or 2nd kick, my pelvis from kicking is killing me. I'm wishing for E-start, but I'm just getting the bike set up the way I want it. Unfortunately, because of Nv DMV lack of spine and and cranial contents, I can't DS it either.

Now the dilema: On CL there are two WR's within my price range, and one just outside of it. A 2004 with many mods and AZ plate $3200, a 2005 with free mods and exhaust only $3500, and a 2006 with exhaust and suspension work for $4000.

My chica will only allow me to upgrade if I can keep the difference between sale price on the 426 (if I can sell it at all in this economy) and the 450 below $1500.

I'm torn because I've invested quite a bit into the 426 and was just starting, now I'll have to do a number of other things to the 450's if I get one.

Attachment sucks. Thoughts????

• 2in2out

Posted September 03, 2009 - 08:21 AM

A house has come on the market that we can afford, and we need money for a down payment...goodbye, jetski. We'll miss you.

She has even considered selling her Raptor too:jawdrop: !!!!

• jayh300

Posted September 03, 2009 - 08:37 AM

at 46, i just bought my first e start also. never had one. it is an 06 wr450 and just riding it around the house, it is very cool. I have hip problems too from arthritis. We will ride it this weekend for the first time and am pretty stoked about it.
We also just moved and bought a house in the country with 2 acres we had been looking at for over a year. Just kept getting cheaper and cheaper until it got in our price range.. good time to buy around here and ours sold in a week....
I looked along time for my wr. My riding partner bought an 04 wr450 not too long ago, so i got to spend some time on his before i bought mine..
keep all the toys you can, they are hard to replace...
and you usually don't find one as nice as the one you sold..

• ww44wrf450f

Posted September 03, 2009 - 01:04 PM

I seen a 06 complete motor on ebay last night, but it needed the starter, wich they have for sale too, it's a savalge place?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/0...id=p3286.c0.m14

see if he will swap and make a deal for the other parts you will need!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 06, 2009 - 07:25 AM

A house has come on the market that we can afford, and we need money for a down payment...goodbye, jetski. We'll miss you.

She has even considered selling her Raptor too:jawdrop: !!!!

goodbye 426 also !

Get the house first. Generally speaking, having a place to call home is actually better than having a bike to ride. You'll get a bike later.

If you can swap bikes and still get the house, I would go for the one with the suspension work. However, $4K is too much. $1500 is not very much difference.

As an option, take half of the $1500, get yourself the decompression cam to make sure its as easy as possible to kick over. Then get a rekluse. Then you'll only kick start it once and it will stay running until you choose to shut it off. Would that make it easier to keep and preserve your investment?

• 2in2out

Posted September 06, 2009 - 08:15 PM

goodbye 426 also !

Get the house first. Generally speaking, having a place to call home is actually better than having a bike to ride. You'll get a bike later.

As an option, take half of the $1500, get yourself the decompression cam to make sure its as easy as possible to kick over. Then get a rekluse. Then you'll only kick start it once and it will stay running until you choose to shut it off. Would that make it easier to keep and preserve your investment?

Bike stays. She has dogs, I have a bike.

I plan on doing the exhaust cam this winter. No joy on the Rekluse, I enjoy the challenge of close clutch combat.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 06, 2009 - 08:57 PM

I say work the guy really hard on the 06 with the suspension,get him to come down. Its a buyers market in the used dirt bike world.
Tell him that suspension does you no good its set up for his weight his height and his riding stance and for it to work right for you it will need it changed anyway.
I am seeing 2008 YZ 450's on ebay for $3000 brand new 09 YZ 450,s going for $4500
Heck I would check out my local dealer to see what kind of rebates and incentives are available on some leftover WR's.
I wish you the best of luck!

• Birdy426

Posted September 06, 2009 - 09:37 PM

Get the autodecomp cam, and make sure your jetting is right. My 444 starts first or second kick almost every time, hot or cold. Electric start is nice, but I don't know that I'd trade it and lose all of the personal set up I have on my 444.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 07, 2009 - 12:02 PM

Bike stays. She has dogs, I have a bike.

I plan on doing the exhaust cam this winter. No joy on the Rekluse, I enjoy the challenge of close clutch combat.

Nice. Its good to see at least one other guys who's balls aren't in a jar on the mantle.

So I guess you're keeping what you got for now.. Good Luck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.