turn signal power

9 replies to this topic
  • panaman

Posted September 03, 2009 - 04:25 AM

I got my drc tail light and brake light switch installed from Sicass racing.
they did a real nice job on all the connectors and stuff...

anyway.. i got some flush mount turnsignals mounted....
I want to make it so they power on when I hit the power button....

which wires do I splice into for DC power at the switch?

• mrlopez

Posted September 03, 2009 - 01:07 PM

So in other words you want them to be on all the time(like cars)?

• panaman

Posted September 06, 2009 - 04:43 AM

yeah i guess.... just when the power to the bike is on....
this will eliminate having to have another switch i suppose....

• panaman

Posted December 16, 2009 - 08:36 AM

I guess I will update my post...
I used a volt meter and could not figure out power on the stock power button.... it seemed like its hot all the time.
I ended up installing a second on/off switch that gets power from one of the wires going to the stock power button to power my horn and turn signals......

I would like to actually remove this switch though so that the power is only on when i have the stock power button on....... so if anyone has any idea on where i can draw the power from let me know...

Also... I am thinking i want to hook up my light switch so I can use all 3 functions... OFF/LOW/HIGH

I was reading something like there is just no wire going into the headlight socket for the high beam.... is there a certain connector i need for this?

• Bandit9

Posted December 16, 2009 - 09:33 PM

Cool, I will be watching this thread. I just bought a bike with a "Just Barely Legal" kit that doesn't have turn signals. I need to add some.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • panaman

Posted December 20, 2009 - 06:12 AM

i thought about tapping into the power at the tail light but I would rather use some wires up under the headlight since that is where everything in my harness resides....

• AZWFO

Posted December 20, 2009 - 12:06 PM

I tapped into the tail lights for white LED's on liscense plate, but for the horn install, I installed a 2.3AH battery. So far it's working great. I bet some blinkers would run off it as well.

Posted Image

• yammerhammer4life

Posted January 05, 2010 - 10:17 PM

I got my drc tail light and brake light switch installed from Sicass racing.
they did a real nice job on all the connectors and stuff...

anyway.. i got some flush mount turnsignals mounted....
I want to make it so they power on when I hit the power button....

which wires do I splice into for DC power at the switch?

I tapped into the brown wire behind the headlight. It is only hot when your power button is turned on. As for the headlight high/low beam function, the existing harness can be used. You just need to add an additional female connector and wire into the existing harness.

• panaman

Posted January 06, 2010 - 06:50 AM

I tapped into the brown wire behind the headlight. It is only hot when your power button is turned on. As for the headlight high/low beam function, the existing harness can be used. You just need to add an additional female connector and wire into the existing harness.

i could have swore i tapped into the brown wire also...
is it the brown wire coming out of the power button? which wire did you use for ground?

• yammerhammer4life

Posted January 07, 2010 - 02:14 PM

Ya, the brown wire from the power button, I spiced in near the wire connection. Mine is an '05 WR but I assume that the majority of the wire harnesses are similar. Do you have the repair manual that comes with the bike? If you do compare it to this one:

http://img.photobuck...gschematicR.jpg

As far as the ground wire, I made all the connections for my turn signals underneath the seat...therefore I just grounded it to the battery. I sure there is a more optimal location to ground it behind the head light if you want, for me it was just easier to connect the blinkers under the seat and out of the way. My turn signal switch controls high/low beams, kill switch, turn signals, and the horn. So I already had to many wire jamming up everything behind the headlight.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.