yz450 affraid of watercrossings

22 replies to this topic
  • fk270

Posted September 02, 2009 - 05:49 PM

my friends blast through rivers and creeks and my 06 yz 450 stalls .:ride:

• mxmaddman

Posted September 02, 2009 - 07:28 PM

ok....First off let me say this.. although it will do it, its not exactly what it was intended for. Unless of course your referring to buds creek.

Anyway, what are your buddies riding and just how deep are we talking? you do realize if you suck water into the cylinder its game over right?

• rufusz

Posted September 02, 2009 - 11:20 PM

Don't stall your engine with the breather hose under water...give more gas :ride:

• SXP

Posted September 03, 2009 - 05:40 AM

If all the carb vent hoses are submerged in water, vaccum created in the carb will draw water up these hoses causing the bike to stall. To prevent this, run two of the carb vent hoses (one from each side) high up on the bike. Secure them (don't pinch them shut) with ziptys to some thing under the tank/over the carb. These two hoses will serve the purpose of breaking any vacuum that may arise as a result of the remaining hoses getting submerged in water. Easy fix.:ride:

• cowboyona426

Posted September 03, 2009 - 06:27 AM

x2 to what SXP said... I took 2 lines off my 06 and ran them into the air box and zip-tied them to the subframe for this very reason. On my old 00 I installed small vacuum T's in the hoses and ran new hoses to the airbox (way different vent tube setup on that bike and it was easier to do the T's than to run the existing hoses up).

• rmx250rider

Posted September 03, 2009 - 11:08 AM

pinning it will only make it worse... check out the off-road Riding Technique form

• FinchFan194

Posted September 03, 2009 - 04:29 PM

pinning it always make it better for me if you are in trouble just twist that throttle!

• fk270

Posted September 04, 2009 - 05:00 PM

thanks for the info . i will try this this weekend. one more question which tire is best for hatfield mckoy trails. just got a maxxis it .

• roylo

Posted September 14, 2009 - 08:17 AM

If all the carb vent hoses are submerged in water, vaccum created in the carb will draw water up these hoses causing the bike to stall. To prevent this, run two of the carb vent hoses (one from each side) high up on the bike. Secure them (don't pinch them shut) with ziptys to some thing under the tank/over the carb. These two hoses will serve the purpose of breaking any vacuum that may arise as a result of the remaining hoses getting submerged in water. Easy fix.:busted:

Im planning on doiing something with the two hoses aswell to prevent sucking up water.
Would routing the hoses up high cause any problems to the 'flow' of the overflow fuel other than squirting fuel all over wherever the end of the pipe is located?

Im thinking of leaving the hoses in the stock positions and drilling a 1 or 2mm hole in the two hoses at the very top where they join to the carb. This will allow air to break the water suction and the majority of overflow fuel will still flow out the end of the hose. Anyone see any problems doing it like this?

• cowboyona426

Posted September 14, 2009 - 08:46 AM

Im planning on doiing something with the two hoses aswell to prevent sucking up water.
Would routing the hoses up high cause any problems to the 'flow' of the overflow fuel other than squirting fuel all over wherever the end of the pipe is located?

Im thinking of leaving the hoses in the stock positions and drilling a 1 or 2mm hole in the two hoses at the very top where they join to the carb. This will allow air to break the water suction and the majority of overflow fuel will still flow out the end of the hose. Anyone see any problems doing it like this?

Just pull the top 2 up and into the airbox- they are air vent hoses and you'll not have any problems by routing them upward.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pbviking

Posted September 14, 2009 - 10:29 AM

Just pull the top 2 up and into the airbox- they are air vent hoses and you'll not have any problems by routing them upward.

Do you have a picture of the hose you move?

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2009 - 10:41 AM

Number 54 in the this diagram:

Carb

• cowboyona426

Posted September 14, 2009 - 03:04 PM

Do you have a picture of the hose you move?

Not right now but I can snap a few tonight.

• roylo

Posted September 14, 2009 - 09:47 PM

What is the purpose of these 2 hoses which run up and then down? Just curious as they are both tee'd off from another hose which runs straight down already?

• cowboyona426

Posted September 15, 2009 - 06:39 AM

What is the purpose of these 2 hoses which run up and then down? Just curious as they are both tee'd off from another hose which runs straight down already?

Of the 5 vent lines on the carb, 2 are for fuel overflow, 2 are air breather lines, and one is a float bowl overflow.

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2009 - 08:33 AM

The whole set of 4 hoses exiting the top two T's are redundant vents to the bowl.

• jason white

Posted October 04, 2009 - 06:06 PM

What about the overflow tube on the left side of the frame. Could this suck water up also?

• sacfelix

Posted October 04, 2009 - 06:19 PM

I routed my crank case breather into my airbox and I also bought a carb vent hose kit, you dont have to get that fancy but I had extra cash so why not, that I routed into the air box that has a small filter on the end of it. I have pictures of the mods in my garage.

http://www.thumperta...ewmod&mid=68978

• pbviking

Posted October 04, 2009 - 07:11 PM

I routed my crank case breather into my airbox and I also bought a carb vent hose kit, you dont have to get that fancy but I had extra cash so why not, that I routed into the air box that has a small filter on the end of it. I have pictures of the mods in my garage.

http://www.thumperta...ewmod&mid=68978

i looked at your picture. Can you tell me what part you used.

I understand the hose but you have some type of box

thanks

• cowboyona426

Posted October 05, 2009 - 06:31 AM

You don't need that little box... just pull the top 2 hoses coming off the carb up and into the airbox, then zip-tie them to the subframe. I'll try to remember to get pics tonight for you.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.