Valve cover removal tricks??? '07 +

6 replies to this topic
  • Wrfrk

Posted September 02, 2009 - 06:33 AM

Man I went to check my valves the other night and found getting that cover off was a major PITA. Does anyone have some good tricks up their sleeve for getting that on and off?

• atitagain

Posted September 02, 2009 - 07:08 AM

I had the same problem....be patient, it will com off. Wait until you try to put it back on! All of the stars must be in perfect alignment, and one prayer to the Yamaha gods.

• Wrfrk

Posted September 02, 2009 - 07:12 AM

I had the same problem....be patient, it will com off. Wait until you try to put it back on! All of the stars must be in perfect alignment, and one prayer to the Yamaha gods.

Ya, I did get it off and then back on after checking the valves but holy crap what a PITA. I swear the people that designed this are retarded. The WR may be a very well built and reliable bike, but it by far the hardest to work on compared to any of the other current scoots out there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted September 02, 2009 - 07:25 AM

With Yamaha, servicing is an afterthought due to their reliability, but be careful about bikes that are easier to work on - they are designed that way because of the NEED. 4 colors other than blue come to mind....
:ride: :) :lol: :)

• Wrfrk

Posted September 02, 2009 - 07:40 AM

With Yamaha, servicing is an afterthought due to their reliability, but be careful about bikes that are easier to work on - they are designed that way because of the NEED. 4 colors other than blue come to mind....
:ride: :) :lol: :)

Umm, ya I don't know if I'd go that far. If I could have I would for sure be on another KTM. With the economy being to so tight though and having been through a recent job loss, I was not ready to spend that kind of $$ though. However, I am afraid it may cost me the same in the end to get this WR to perform as well as my previous '09 KTM 450.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 02, 2009 - 09:45 AM

I have always found it easier to remove and install the valve cover SEPARATE from the gasket. It's contradictory to the manual instructions but it works much easier for me and less abusive to the gasket.:ride:

• grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2009 - 03:48 PM

My approach is a variation of Don's. The hot start cable must be out of the way, as must any wiring or ties on the left side frame rail. Break the gasket loose from the cover (it's typically glued or stuck to the cover and releases cleanly from the head), but only along the left edge, and only enough to let the half-moons flip outward at a 90. Raise the left edge of the cover, keep the right edge low, and work it off to the right side.

"Assemble in reverse order."

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.