Replace my 08 yz450f exhaust cam with a WR exhaust cam ,is it ok ?

22 replies to this topic
  • erickdj

Posted September 07, 2009 - 06:29 PM

You said you were going with the GTYR weighted flywheel,correct?
I would suggest trying that modification first,the extra weight on the flywheel should help smooth out the low end power delivery of your 450.
Then if that is not enough then try the WR cam.

That's a great plan, the flywheel should make the engine more luggable at low rpms. Adding a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket should help too, I know it helped my yz to behave better at low speeds. Killing the low/mid power on a yz is just pure heresy, blasphemy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sider_steve

Posted September 07, 2009 - 07:14 PM

That's a great plan, the flywheel should make the engine more luggable at low rpms. Adding a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket should help too, I know it helped my yz to behave better at low speeds. Killing the low/mid power on a yz is just pure heresy, blasphemy.

I might try going the other way with gearing,smaller rear sproket.
It works out to being a gear higher and the motor doesnt build revs as fast.
This is just my opinion.
But when riding on slick surfaces being a gear taller and using the low end of the power curve provides smoother more tractable power delivery.
I geared my YZ up 3 in the back(45 tooth Vs. 48 tooth stock) so it doesnt slam right to the rev limiter.
But my YZ isnt a 450 its the baby brother model.
I have more top speed and my tiny 250 will still chug up some really steep hills.
Plus I dont have to shift so fast to stay in the low to mid power range.

• FinchFan194

Posted September 07, 2009 - 07:24 PM

I agree Sider Steve I down geared my 04 YZ450 just a little bit and it provides a lot more traction and a lot less shifting. I especially like it on tight single track as it pulls forever in 1st gear. It works out well on a MX track as well as I mainly ride in 2nd or 3rd and carry more momentum.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.