90 km commute. Too far for WR 450?

23 replies to this topic
  • bchunter

Posted September 01, 2009 - 07:45 AM

Hello. I have searched this site and already know that the WR450 will be good on the highway. The pictures and video has made me drool.

I have a friend that is selling a street legal 2004 WR 450. I was looking at a DR 650 but love his bike since it is a true dirt bike that I can take on the road.

My question is how far can you run one at one time on the highway. My commute to work is 90 km (55 miles) one way. Half is 90 km/h and the other half is 100 km/h, so realisticly I will be doing 100 and 110 (60 - 65 mph).

I figured if I did not keep the throttle at one spot and played a bit with it I should be OK, but wanted to see what you guys thought. I do not know what gears he has but I was considering making them more highway friendly if need be.

Thanks.

• tribalbc

Posted September 01, 2009 - 09:37 AM

Well I can tell you the WR isn't going to be a whole lot of fun for that type of commuting.
Are you commuting in the Fraser Valley or somewhere in the interior that at least has some twisties ?
I'm not sure on the size of the stock tank on a 04 but I'm pretty sure it's big enough to cover the distance. That would be pushing it on my 07 with a stock tank but it's only 2.1gals.

• diegox450

Posted September 01, 2009 - 09:43 AM

My '06 can do 110km on steady throttle, and about 85km in single track, with 13/49 gearing and proper jetting and uncorking...

Diego

• drtbk4ever

Posted September 01, 2009 - 10:03 AM

You will likely want to regear the bike so that you can maintain those speeds at lower revs. This makes it a little less "trail" friendly.

My concern would be tires. Off road knobbies may be OK for a short jaunt on pavement, but any long distance on pavement requires appropriate tires. Especially in the rain. Knobbies on wet pavement = deadly. Those Dual sport tires will make the bike even less "trail" friendly.

And I would want a more comfortable seat for the extra seat time.

Hmm... I hate to say this, but what you are trying to create is a bike like the DR 650. Jeez, thought I'd never ever have to say that.

And you would have to gas up before coming home.

• bchunter

Posted September 01, 2009 - 10:24 AM

I was looking at changing the seat to a Corbin and getting a bigger tank, or have a jerry can at home and work :ride: I am in Northern BC, so there are some twisties and corners, but not like a windy road or anything. And ya, I would put new tires on it, better for the highway. I would have to find the happy medium of road and dirt.

You bet that I am trying to create a light weight, more trail worthy DR 650. I can only afford one bike, so I was hoping that this would do both equally well. I have never ridden a DR, but the WR must be better in the dirt. Yes, I am trying to have my cake and eat it too.

My worry is that this bike is too highstrung for the highway and that it would create too much crankcase pressure and go kaboommee on me during the commute. I see that alot of guys are using this bike on short commutes, and taht would not bother me, but I have a little way to go.

Thanks for all the help guys.

• tribalbc

Posted September 01, 2009 - 11:13 AM

I was looking at changing the seat to a Corbin and getting a bigger tank, or have a jerry can at home and work :ride: I am in Northern BC, so there are some twisties and corners, but not like a windy road or anything. And ya, I would put new tires on it, better for the highway. I would have to find the happy medium of road and dirt.

You bet that I am trying to create a light weight, more trail worthy DR 650. I can only afford one bike, so I was hoping that this would do both equally well. I have never ridden a DR, but the WR must be better in the dirt. Yes, I am trying to have my cake and eat it too.

My worry is that this bike is too highstrung for the highway and that it would create too much crankcase pressure and go kaboommee on me during the commute. I see that alot of guys are using this bike on short commutes, and taht would not bother me, but I have a little way to go.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I think you could gear it high enough that you could cruise those speeds without winding it out and at least you don't have to deal with to much traffic in N BC. But these are true dirt bikes and they don't like steady throttle positions for long periods of time. Not to mention they're not the most comfortable just cruising.
I think a good copromise would be a XR650L. They're much more dirt worthy than a DR but still a comfortable street cruiser. If you were just to ride logging roads and the odd single track they would serve the duty well.

• YamaLink

Posted September 01, 2009 - 12:35 PM

My friend commutes on his almost everyday, but his commute is half backroads and his speeds are stop-and-go with minimal highway. He loves it - especially for stoplight launches and wheelies - but when asked if he'd commute on the WRF if it were more straight line or higher speed, he said no way. Too buzzy, too boring and he thinks his beloved WRF wouldn't be the fun all-around machine it is because of gearing and tire selection. At least not for his needs.

• bchunter

Posted September 01, 2009 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for all the help.

I have looked at the XR's and the DR's, but this chance came up to get my buddies WR and I like the idea of a truly dirt bike that is street legal. This is why I am considering it. I was set on the DR, but then my buddy has to tell me he is selling his. This is how my dilema started :ride:

I am riding logging roads, one tracks, and mountain quad / bike trails that are covered in ugly stuff. Right now I am riding an old Suzuki 2 stroke and try to take it places the WR goes. And of course, I want to take it to work on the days that I can.

• ASternad

Posted September 01, 2009 - 08:17 PM

How's about an extra set of wheels with semi street tires and a smaller rear sprocket, then switch back to the dirt set for the weekend.
To make the switch easier, buy a 2nd chain and cut it so it fits with out having to touch the chain adjusters.

If there's a want, there's a way.

• bchunter

Posted September 01, 2009 - 08:28 PM

Funny, that is exactly what my buddy and I were talking about over coffee today. He has it geared for the bush so it is all bottom end and he has a set of super moto tires that he puts on it when he takes it to the track, so we discussed the possibility of two sets with different gears and chains.

I have the want and can figure out the way, I just want to make sure that my want is a logical place to put my money, as I don't want to make a $$$$ mistake and have to try to explain to the financial accountant why I now need a street bike when the one that I bought was supossed to do both. If it is not a logical move and the WR is really not made or be made to do both, then I will look elsewhere.

But drivng a true dirtbike on the street, that has got to be cool.........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ASternad

Posted September 01, 2009 - 08:50 PM

You're obviously racking up some miles using it as a commuter, so expect maintenance to be more frequent than if it was a dirt bike only. I would expect if you're getting it from a friend, the deal should be good. So maybe try it out for 15 days or so (with knobbies), and sell it for the DRZ if it doesn't fit the bill. I just got rid of a 08 Husky TE510, very vibby bike for the street, but I was able to throw down 70mile rides. A corbin or renazco will be the hot ticket. Padded shorts help in the meantime, but may make your butt look big.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted September 01, 2009 - 08:53 PM

If you do the math, that's around 10,000 clicks in 4 months and allot of oil changes, I'd go find a bargain on a 2000 and up used Harley. One you could sell tomorrow because it was sold 2 u for a such a great price in today's market, something you wouldn't loose any money on! 2 many clicks for a wr or most off-road bikes, not to say that it's not being done!!. IMO. 1.5 miles to work is perfect, 10 miles is too many on a wr, it's a light bike compared to a road bike and you end up being blown around allot by trucks passing bye, wind gusts and wet pavement sucks on those windy days?

• klossWR450

Posted September 02, 2009 - 01:03 AM

I commute on WR 450 motard every sunny day, it's about 25 km (15miles) each way and while it's great fun in town and turns, it gets rather boring on the 15km straight, with 17" wheels and geared 14/42 bike runs 100km/h @ 5800rpm so can do about 130km/h healthy but it's sooo boring you could fall asleep, and the bike revs pretty high. I change the oil every 400-500 kms (manual states 1000 km)and that's done in less than 2 weeks, I imagine you'd have to do it at least every weekend, I use my good old KZ900 to do the longer mileage when needed, oil change once a year or after 10000kms, clean hands etc..... but WR rules in town

• xrmarty

Posted September 03, 2009 - 03:38 AM

if you ride that bike 55 miles each way (110 miles a day) 5 times a week. You are looking at new top end rebuild every 4 to 6 weeks maybe 8 - guaranteed. ;

• bchunter

Posted September 03, 2009 - 07:39 AM

I don't think that it will be 5 days a week. It will depend on what gear I need to bring to work, so sometimes I will have to take the truck. But for those days where all I need is my lunch, 6 litres of fuel compared to 20 litres sounds pretty good. So realisticly, once or twice a week for four months. Plus all the weekend dirt riding out the back door.

Thanks for all your input. It is greatly appreciated as I am not too familiar with these new high tuned machaines. I can say one thing, it would be a better ride then the 1979 TS 250 that I have right now :ride:

• ww44wrf450f

Posted September 04, 2009 - 06:55 AM

Gas, maintenance, comfort, weekend fun? You would half to have the bike set up for both and either finding one already done, or putting one together? So the bike + 1500 to 2000 dollars in extras to do it right?? -- wheel's(tire's,rim's,sprocket,chain and rotor's), vortex ignition(IMO. a must), light kit, and can you even plate it in BC-???, can you do the maintenance on the bike yourself is a big savings!! down the road, in a couple of years you could say, "Ya, it saved some gas money" but the maintenance and time would be your free labor and the beer while maintaining it !!! So, I think it's safe to say that it won't save money or time( toy's rarely do? ), fun factor will be very big for you with some lost in confort when on the highway. Again th DMV is getting tough on these bike to get plated? Having one plated is a big PLUS. :ride: AT times you get glare's form other drivers that you are from another planet:p :lol: and the old ladies wave there hands inside their car with all widows rolled up, as if you just farted.:)

• diegox450

Posted September 04, 2009 - 04:46 PM

if you ride that bike 55 miles each way (110 miles a day) 5 times a week. You are looking at new top end rebuild every 4 to 6 weeks maybe 8 - guaranteed. ;

It's a Yamaha, 8500 kms on mine with valves in stock spec... :ride:

• bchunter

Posted September 05, 2009 - 08:11 AM

See, that is where I am lucky with this bike. It is already plated and comes with 3 sets of fenders (one road, one dirt, and the original stuff), all the street legal lights (LED's (bonus)), and if I beg and plead, maybe the supermoto tires on rims that he has. What I am looking at spending is another sprocket for the rear, a DOT tire, and a new chain. That is if he does not through in the moto tires and rims. As for the maintaine, I do not know anything about these Yamaha's but he does and is willing to tear it down over the winter and redo the seals and some bearings with me so that I can learn. As for savings in fuel, I have a Matrix that gets 55 mpg that I take sometimes to off set the fuel cost. Again, the reason that I am thinking of this bike is to have a street legal truly dirt bike that I will use on the highway to commute when I can and play with the other times. The plated aspect of this bike is huge for me, since something like this is hard to find. If my work was closer, it would be a no brainer for me, it is just that longer drive that I want to make sure I don't break my investment and fun machine.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted September 05, 2009 - 08:42 AM

Oh, I see that you found a wr that has been set up for both? you will probably ride it to work once and Matrix it after that? Find one with low hours on it?

• bchunter

Posted September 05, 2009 - 07:09 PM

Ya, this WR is set for both and has papers for the street. That is the lure. I would not have considered buying it if it was not plated, as I want something I can dual sport with. I like the DR 650 and the XR 650, but when this one came up, I thought it would be great as long as it can take the highway miles that I would occassionaly put on it and is a hoot in the dirt. On the days where it is nice, I would like to take it to work and just want to make sure that I would not kill it in the process. I can put up with the discomfort, but I am not too keen on killing it just for a couple highway trips. In saying that, I might just run it a couple of times to work and find it is to buzzy, light, and highstrung for the drive. But that is why I asked this question, I want to see who has done any longer highway miles and how they find the bike.

Thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.