My Wr400FL

31 replies to this topic
  • Dchdmn

Posted September 07, 2009 - 11:19 PM

its already registered as a street bike. (previous owner rode it on the streets and managed to not use turn signals). :busted:

• bakeyz426f

Posted September 08, 2009 - 03:04 AM

an led tail light only uses about 1 watt i think i read in one of these forums. get a 35 watt head light and and led tail light and i would think you could still have enough power to run a turn signals with an 80 watt stator.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 08, 2009 - 08:06 AM

its already registered as a street bike. (previous owner rode it on the streets and managed to not use turn signals). :busted:

So all you really need to do is wire up turn signals?
And the voltage regulator?

• pablo83

Posted September 08, 2009 - 11:44 AM

This bike already has a voltage regulator for it's lighting circuit, but it's all AC. This works fine with headlight/taillight, but I'm not sure if it will work with blinkers and it won't work with a battery.

You'll need a rectifier to convert the system to DC if you want a battery. The Baja Designs kit does this, but there are some modifications required to the lighting coil. They are not difficult, but they require some soldering. You can buy the regulator/rectifier separate and it's not too expensive ($37 I think) if that's the only part you need.

I used to have the Baja Designs install manual around here, but it seems to be lost. I'll take another look around for it.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 08, 2009 - 12:55 PM

This bike already has a voltage regulator for it's lighting circuit, but it's all AC. This works fine with headlight/taillight, but I'm not sure if it will work with blinkers and it won't work with a battery.

You'll need a rectifier to convert the system to DC if you want a battery. The Baja Designs kit does this, but there are some modifications required to the lighting coil. They are not difficult, but they require some soldering. You can buy the regulator/rectifier separate and it's not too expensive ($37 I think) if that's the only part you need.

I used to have the Baja Designs install manual around here, but it seems to be lost. I'll take another look around for it.

Pablo is correct in order to charge a battery with DC current, you would need a rectifier.
In all the posts I read last night about past TT members Installing lights and batteries, not one mention was made of a rectifier. But the lighting kit they were using came with one. Had to look that up after I read pablos post.
To operate blinkers you will need a steady DC supply voltage and a flasher relay.
The type of flasher relay to use will depend on the type of turn signals you have standard bulb flashers or LED flashers. They run in price from $8 to $15.
the standard models come in 2 styles 2 pole or 3 pole.

• Dchdmn

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:00 PM

So if I convert it to DC will i be able to run a speedometer and keep my current head light and tail light. I already ordered the regulator, and a key switch.

Pablo is correct in order to charge a battery with DC current, you would need a rectifier.
In all the posts I read last night about past TT members Installing lights and batteries, not one mention was made of a rectifier. But the lighting kit they were using came with one. Had to look that up after I read pablos post.
To operate blinkers you will need a steady DC supply voltage and a flasher relay.
The type of flasher relay to use will depend on the type of turn signals you have standard bulb flashers or LED flashers. They run in price from $8 to $15.
the standard models come in 2 styles 2 pole or 3 pole.

Links?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dchdmn

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:04 PM

Correct.

• pablo83

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:28 PM

So if I convert it to DC will i be able to run a speedometer and keep my current head light and tail light.

headlight/tail light: yes
speedo: I don't know, what speedo are you running?

• Sider_steve

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:29 PM

So if I convert it to DC will i be able to run a speedometer and keep my current head light and tail light. I already ordered the regulator, and a key switch.

Links?

I am a little lost on the spedo question,thought those were driven off the front wheel?
What brand/model regulator did you order?
And I am not giving you a link until you tell me if the turn signals are led turn signals or standard bulb style.
I started answering questions that first night without enough information.
I want to make sure what I tell you is correct.

• Dchdmn

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:30 PM

headlight/tail light: yes
speedo: I don't know, what speedo are you running?

Ah, never mind. It accepts AC/DC (my bad..)

Btw - I dont have it yet but this is what Im planning on
http://www.motorcycl...400F-Parts.aspx

I am a little lost on the spedo question,thought those were driven off the front wheel?
What brand/model regulator did you order?
And I am not giving you a link until you tell me if the turn signals are led turn signals or standard bulb style.
I started answering questions that first night without enough information.
I want to make sure what I tell you is correct.

Yeah im sorry it was dark out then and it is now, ill go check right now but whats the best way to tell i fits AC or DC? O.o

Oh, and I ordered this - http://www.motorcycl...-Regulator.aspx

• Sider_steve

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:33 PM

LOL it was late that night.
Here is the link I forgot to put in the message about the wiring diagram.
http://www.supermoto...ead.php?t=63540

• Sider_steve

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:27 PM

Here are 2 links for you to check out.
First one is the battery. https://www.bajadesi...ry, Nicad Wired
Second is a signal relay. https://www.bajadesi...Signal, Flasher
DO NOT use this relay if your turn signals are LED style.
I think you can just add a diode bridge rectifier off the stock stator and bang you have DC. Looking for the right one for you and it hasnt been easy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.