My Wr400FL

31 replies to this topic
  • Dchdmn

Posted August 31, 2009 - 05:54 PM

Hey guys!

I'm just getting started on this forum so I thought id tell about my bike and maby get a few answers solved..

To begin, I have a WR400FL (1999). Its awesome :)
Just got this puppy last week, it hauls a**.

Im *sorta* new to riding bikes, ive ridden my friends but anyways, some may think for a beginner its a huge bike but im a big guy, 6' 3", 160lbs.. And I can handle it perfectly.

I just have some general questions for ya'll..

1.) Whats the top speed of my bike *about*? I know its kinda childish but im going to be driving this as my first car, rather then an actual car.

2.) How come when i quickly hit the throttle (but barely giving it gas to even up the RPM, then it dies :S

3.) How good of an on road bike will this be??

Im totally stoked about this bike but I would love to have these few questions answered! :ride:

I bought it for $3kUSD. Perfect condition, brand new tires, forks with shocks and a new exhaust pipe thats supposed to 'muffle' the noise out put (but its still pretty darn loud).

Thanks!!!

• pablo83

Posted September 06, 2009 - 07:51 PM

1.) Whats the top speed of my bike *about*? I know its kinda childish but im going to be driving this as my first car, rather then an actual car.
[COLOR="red"]depends on the gearing. My WR426 with [EDIT] 15/50 gearing will do 87.5 MPH at 8000 ft elevation, but stock gearing will not get you this fast.[/COLOR]

2.) How come when i quickly hit the throttle (but barely giving it gas to even up the RPM, then it dies :S
[COLOR="red"]You accelorator pump (AP) is not working properly. Do a search, there are millions of threads on it. And try the O-ring mod[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Terrible. I use mine on the road a lot, but it takes some getting used to. Things that will help: a more comfortable seat, steering damper, less knobby tires, disconnect TPS, and replace your wheel bearing often. You can install an ignition key from a TTR pretty easily.[/COLOR]

:busted:

• SXP

Posted September 07, 2009 - 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dchdmn
depends on the gearing. My WR426 with [COLOR="Red"]15/55 [/COLOR]gearing will do 87.5 MPH at 8000 ft elevation, but stock gearing will not get you this fast.

You accelorator pump (AP) is not working properly. Do a search, there are millions of threads on it. And try the O-ring mod

Terrible. I use mine on the road a lot, but it takes some getting used to. Things that will help: a more comfortable seat, steering damper, less knobby tires, disconnect TPS, and replace your wheel bearing often. You can install an ignition key from a TTR pretty easily.

15/55!! The chain must have to make one helluva bend at the trailing edge of the chain guide to wrap around the sprocket. You must chew through chain guides pretty fast!?

• pablo83

Posted September 07, 2009 - 08:46 AM

15/55!! The chain must have to make one helluva bend at the trailing edge of the chain guide to wrap around the sprocket. You must chew through chain guides pretty fast!?

My bad, it's 15/50.

• Dchdmn

Posted September 07, 2009 - 09:59 AM

Thanks!!!
I appreciate the input :busted:

All I can say is I love this bike.
Could you direct me to a link about where I can get higher gearing?
I was also thinking about getting a bigger sprocket size (Probably will make it go respectably faster?).

Thanks!

-Dchdmn

• Sider_steve

Posted September 07, 2009 - 10:17 AM

Thanks!!!
I appreciate the input :busted:

All I can say is I love this bike.
Could you direct me to a link about where I can get higher gearing?
I was also thinking about getting a bigger sprocket size (Probably will make it go respectably faster?).

Thanks!

-Dchdmn

If you want your bike to be geared up (have higher top speed)
You can go bigger on the countershaft sproket.
But due to the limited amount of space, I would recomend a smaller rear sprocket.
Try the thumpertalk store for an aftermarket rear sproket,it helps fund the site when you buy there.

• Dchdmn

Posted September 07, 2009 - 10:33 AM

Another thing, can you help me out with putting a key on my bike?
I'm totally clueless, i would greatly appreciate it if you would :busted:

• Sider_steve

Posted September 07, 2009 - 10:48 AM

Someone just started this thread for adding a key the other day.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=600038

• Dchdmn

Posted September 07, 2009 - 11:02 AM

Okay, so lets say I get this - http://www.electrosp...products_id=807

Do I need any other parts for it? Or do i essentially just plug some stuff together and im good to go :|

• Sider_steve

Posted September 07, 2009 - 11:33 AM

Okay, so lets say I get this - http://www.electrosp...products_id=807

Do I need any other parts for it? Or do i essentially just plug some stuff together and im good to go :|

Since your WR is a 99 I have to say its kickstart only,correct?
There are 2 types of single pole single throw switches, normaly open and normally closed.
So by installing a key to it you would basically be replacing the kill switch with a normaly open style switch. Your killswitch on your handle bars is a normaly open switch when closed (button pushed) it kills power to the CDI.
It might look like its theft proof but uplug or cut the wires to a keyswitch that is in the off position (normaly closed) and the curcuit becomes open. Then your bike can be started and riden off into the sunset.
Being a motorcycle, any type of theft deterent will only stop the honest ones.
For about half of what you would pay for that keyswitch, a cable style lock would be a better investment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dchdmn

Posted September 07, 2009 - 05:59 PM

Yeah the cable is what I had in mind O.o
But yeah, its kick start only, and thanks for the info!!
I was looking for a regulator on electrosport and they dont have one for my model, i went to a local motorcycle store (they sell yamaha & suzuki only) and he was flipping through his catalog
and managed to find a very small battery pack (its small because i dont have space for a normal battery) that can keep my lights running for 15 mins.
Would you mind helping me out with that? I need;

-A regulator
-One of those small battery pack type things
-Turnsignal switch (i already have the lights and everything installed, just not "hooked up" and no turn switches.

And whatever else you might think of

• Sider_steve

Posted September 07, 2009 - 08:33 PM

I know moose racing makes an AC voltage regulator. http://www.motorcycl...-Regulator.aspx
Baja designs for the turn signal switch http://www.motorcycl...rol-Switch.aspx
Its going to take me a bit to locate a battery.
Not sure what kind if power out put your stator puts out.
I know some of the aftermarket stators only have a 40 watt lighting coil,which is probaly enough to run a headlight and small tail light.
But once you toss turn signals into the package you may have to have the battery to have steady enough power.the battery will keep your lights steady and your stator will trickle charge it.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 07, 2009 - 08:42 PM

found one right here on thumpertalk,,,
http://forums.rmdra.....php?f=3&t=4002

• Dchdmn

Posted September 07, 2009 - 09:29 PM

Not to question what you know, but are you sure this stuff will work?? O.o
Ill probably hold off on the battery for a while. I'd rather get it from an official place rather than just some random person selling these (I hope you understand)..

So yeah, will it work without the battery?? And how straight forward will this be?

• Sider_steve

Posted September 07, 2009 - 09:48 PM

So yeah, will it work without the battery?? And how straight forward will this be?

That is the question of the day. Or should I say 2 questions of the day.
I am going to search for or start a thread and see if anyone knows the lighting coils output in watts of your stock stator, I hope its a stock stator.
How electrically inclined are you?

• Dchdmn

Posted September 07, 2009 - 10:09 PM

I'm living with somebody that was an engineer, so if I cant handle it im sure ill get it resolved..
But to answer your question, im not too bad. Its not like rewiring an airplane :busted:
but i REALLY appreciate you helping me man, this is awesome

• Sider_steve

Posted September 07, 2009 - 10:27 PM

Ok I found out the 99 WR 400 has an 80 watt power output.
Now you say you have all the lights already?
I will need information on headlight,taillight and turn signals.
From what I have read so far is that the stock stator using a baja designs dual sport lighting kit will be pushing the limits of the stock stator. It will run the lights but the baja system runs a 65 watt bulb and doesnt leave enough to charge a the nicad battery. Switching to a 35 watt bulb for the headlight seems to have fixed that problem.
So if the headlight is using 35 of the 80 watts, that leaves 45 watts of power to split between a taillight,2 blinkers a brake light and battery charging.
Baja designs can rewind your stock stator to bring up the power output to 130 watts,which would give you plenty of power to run everything.

• Dchdmn

Posted September 07, 2009 - 10:32 PM

Alright, but im not sure how much wattage my head + tail light is using. But my turn signals look very small, i doubt that they use much power..
yeah i have all the lights

• Sider_steve

Posted September 07, 2009 - 11:01 PM

ok at this point,not knowing anything about your lighting system.
If you purchased the regulator and maybe the battery.
The regulator will have a wiring diagram on how to hook it up.
The next trick is to find the lighting coil outputs on your stator.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 07, 2009 - 11:17 PM

I'm living with somebody that was an engineer, so if I cant handle it im sure ill get it resolved..
But to answer your question, im not too bad. Its not like rewiring an airplane :busted:
but i REALLY appreciate you helping me man, this is awesome

here is a link to a page that has a complete wiring diagram in how to wire your whole system. It includes pictures and everything.

Just read through it print out the wiring diagrams and hook all the parts up.

I do have one question though.
will California let let you ride this thing on the streets when you are done?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.