jetting size needed

17 replies to this topic
  • 717billh

Posted August 31, 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hi im new to this site i hope im in the proper thread . I just bought a used 02 drz400s it has a fmf exhaust and was jetted there is no 3x3 mod and i think I want one. my questions are. 1 Is it going to help much since there is already a high flow k&n air filter. 2. what size jet do i need if any? the guy gave me the jett kit so there are a bunch of extras i would appreciate any thoughts

• toddrh

Posted August 31, 2009 - 08:06 PM

Hi im new to this site i hope im in the proper thread . I just bought a used 02 drz400s it has a fmf exhaust and was jetted there is no 3x3 mod and i think I want one. my questions are. 1 Is it going to help much since there is already a high flow k&n air filter. 2. what size jet do i need if any? the guy gave me the jett kit so there are a bunch of extras i would appreciate any thoughts

Did you check the DRZ jetting database, and do a forum search ??:ride:

• jbwiden

Posted August 31, 2009 - 08:19 PM

What is your elevation

Jbw

• 717billh

Posted September 02, 2009 - 02:12 PM

i did do a serch but i could not get any thing to come up. i ride at an altitude between 500 and a 1000 feet

• kman780

Posted September 02, 2009 - 04:15 PM

Stay stock 142.5 main and 22.5 pilot with no 3x3

I would suggest to get a jet kit and do the 3x3 and jet accordingly.

• Chinosupermotoman

Posted September 02, 2009 - 05:32 PM

I have a stock 07 s, any jetting suggestions? Bought a yosh rs2 full system and a dyno jet kit. I went with what yosh suggested as far as jetting, think they call for 145main and (50pilot????....not sure). THey also call for a cut out in the air box 3.65"x4.5". Does this sound too big, both cut out and jets? Just wanted to see what the experts have to say.

• kman780

Posted September 02, 2009 - 05:48 PM

I have a stock 07 s, any jetting suggestions? Bought a yosh rs2 full system and a dyno jet kit. I went with what yosh suggested as far as jetting, think they call for 145main and (50pilot????....not sure). THey also call for a cut out in the air box 3.65"x4.5". Does this sound too big, both cut out and jets? Just wanted to see what the experts have to say.

I would stick with the 3x3 and use the 145 main and a 25 pilot and the 4th clip on the DJ needle. That should be dead on or very close. You can adjust from there.

• kman780

Posted September 03, 2009 - 09:36 AM

correct me if I'm wrong but surely if he did what you have just suggested he would be looking at a 155 or 160 main jet depending on if the FMF was corked or not!

That would be correct with the JD kit (James Dean) but with the DJ (DynoJet or FMF) kit this would be the jetting.

• Chinosupermotoman

Posted September 04, 2009 - 08:07 PM

Alright, so I took apart the carb and installed the fmf jet kit. I know I screwed something up. Going to finish install tomorrow, with the yosh full system. FMF kit came with a 134 main jet, said to go 3.5 turns on the fuel mixture screw, and put c clip on the 4 from the top. THis is where Im screwed, I think. On the needle I put, starting from the bottom, stock metal washer, plastic washer, and c clip. Does this sound like its in the right order? Is the jet size big enough? Should I ride it and see? And if I don't sound incompetent enough, which jet is the main jet??? LOL! Guess I have to learn somehow........or find a good mechanic in Chino!!! LOL!!! Look forward to hearing any advice. I think I'd rather bang my freakin head against the wall than take this damn carb out again!! haha........seriously!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 717billh

Posted September 05, 2009 - 06:33 AM

this is a link to a 3x3 mod but at the end this guy rejets the carb i thought it was good video on how to rejet http://video.google....mod&hl=en&emb=0

• mgw24

Posted September 05, 2009 - 06:42 AM

Alright, so I took apart the carb and installed the fmf jet kit. I know I screwed something up. Going to finish install tomorrow, with the yosh full system. FMF kit came with a 134 main jet, said to go 3.5 turns on the fuel mixture screw, and put c clip on the 4 from the top. THis is where Im screwed, I think. On the needle I put, starting from the bottom, stock metal washer, plastic washer, and c clip. Does this sound like its in the right order? Is the jet size big enough? Should I ride it and see? And if I don't sound incompetent enough, which jet is the main jet??? LOL! Guess I have to learn somehow........or find a good mechanic in Chino!!! LOL!!! Look forward to hearing any advice. I think I'd rather bang my freakin head against the wall than take this damn carb out again!! haha........seriously!!

Needle should be from the bottom -> Thick Washer -> Plastic Washer -> C-clip -> thin washer

• Chinosupermotoman

Posted September 05, 2009 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. That video saved my ass!! The bike rips!!!! its awesome. Heres my set up,
full yosh rs2
snorkel out, no 3x3
smog crap out
134 main
stock 22.5 pilot and other jet
fuel screw 3.5 turns

so far so good! But theres always room for improvement, wink wink, open to suggestions. Ill let you know if it blows up or not!!! lol!!!

• Whit001

Posted September 05, 2009 - 01:24 PM

http://www.thumperta...ight=master 3x3

• mickeydee

Posted September 05, 2009 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. That video saved my ass!! The bike rips!!!! its awesome. Heres my set up,
full yosh rs2
snorkel out, no 3x3
smog crap out
134 main
stock 22.5 pilot and other jet
fuel screw 3.5 turns

so far so good! But theres always room for improvement, wink wink, open to suggestions. Ill let you know if it blows up or not!!! lol!!!

cut the 3x3 hole and go with a 150,152.5 or a 155 main jet.

• Chinosupermotoman

Posted September 05, 2009 - 02:20 PM

[COLOR="Red"]cut the 3x3 hole and go with a 150,152.5 or a 155 main jet.[/COLOR]

Do you really think I get much more power out of the little bugger??

• Chinosupermotoman

Posted September 05, 2009 - 02:30 PM

Have no idea, Im just curious. After watching the video above on how to jet, taking out the carb is no longer a pain in the ars!

• slowriding

Posted September 05, 2009 - 05:11 PM

the main jet is the one that is below the emulsion tube that the needle drops down into.

• mickeydee

Posted September 05, 2009 - 07:02 PM

[COLOR="Red"]cut the 3x3 hole and go with a 150,152.5 or a 155 main jet.[/COLOR]

Do you really think I get much more power out of the little bugger??

the amount of extra power is minimal but you will be able to feel it on the butt meter

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  65 replies
Forums
Photo

$2000 for a decent DR-Z 400s...need a reality check!? by sbscale0309

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

what's the most comfortabe seat/seat mod for DRZ400 by the doog

• Hot  99 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.