96 Ktm 550 MXC

4 replies to this topic
  • SNAKE_

Posted August 31, 2009 - 05:53 AM

Now I know nothing about these bikes, can someoen point in the right direction for background information and specs.

Basically I want a 2 stroke to play on in the open desert on 100-150klm runs. As I have been a 4T
man for a long time I was looking for something lighter and more responsive.

The owner has 2 bikes and will sell me both for about 2700 USD in total. Both run well (one better than the other) :ride: But he stated that the main bike he rode doesnt like hot weather and would cut out sometimes and not start for maybe 10 mins or so and it took a bit of kicking to start it.

Now I dont want a headache all I want is a reliable enduro 2T as a second bike to my 4T.

Will this cut it with some minor repairs or should I continue looking?

• cmjb

Posted August 31, 2009 - 04:47 PM

I've read that the newer 550's,95 and up,have an SEM ignition which apparently wasn't as good as the older Motoplat on the 91 - 94's.I wonder if the ignition is cutting out as the bike gets too hot?I've owned a couple KX500's and a CR500 and ridden a 95 KTM 440exc but I'd love to get my hands on a 550 as long as parts were still available.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KTMBlake

Posted August 31, 2009 - 06:35 PM

Now I know nothing about these bikes, can someoen point in the right direction for background information and specs.

Basically I want a 2 stroke to play on in the open desert on 100-150klm runs. As I have been a 4T man for a long time I was looking for something lighter and more responsive.

The owner has 2 bikes and will sell me both for about 2700 USD in total. Both run well (one better than the other) :ride: But he stated that the main bike he rode doesnt like hot weather and would cut out sometimes and not start for maybe 10 mins or so and it took a bit of kicking to start it.

Now I dont want a headache all I want is a reliable enduro 2T as a second bike to my 4T.

Will this cut it with some minor repairs or should I continue looking?

A great source of information on the bigbore KTM smokers is KTMTalk's "Oldies but Goodies" subforum.

They are fantastically reliable bikes - old articles referred to them as 'the most reliable motor' out there. They do not get great mileage though - my 440 EXC has a 13 liter tank (3.43 USG) and has a range of maybe 65-70 miles. (19-20mpg, you'll have to convert to km/l)
The 550 is a beast, but with enormous torque. The 440 is on the same bottom end, but with a 500's piston and shorter stroke. WAY shorter stroke, it's shorter than a 300's. The 440 has a delicious midrange, and the motor just wants to rev... tremendous fun.

Price is a point of confusion - the bigbore 2-strokes are getting rarer these days, yet in this soft market & weak economy, they can be a tough sell.
I saw a very very nice one that started for sale at $3200....and the price went down to $2200 and still no takers. Probably a $1500 bike that someone poured cash into, never to be seen again.

Parts are available, yet it takes research to find where to get them. Piston and ring kits mostly. Clutch baskets get grooved, and can be dressed once. After that, you're looking at an expensive piece if you buy the whole enchilada. I paid $456 and was told list is closer to $800 for the assembly - but I'm told the worn part can be ordered separately ($120) and re-fastened (huge "rivets") to the other.
So if you can ride it, check for clutch drag.

In all honesty, as much as I hold these bikes in high esteem - I'd probably look for a 380 on the more modern PDS (non-linkage rear suspension) chassis.

• ktm300

Posted September 01, 2009 - 05:30 AM

I started racing in the desert on a 550-DXC gobs of power, horrible fuel milage, and tried new reeds, flat slide, pipe, the only thing that helped was carrying a liter of fuel in my pack after it guzzled the desert tank dry.

It also vibrates so much it will put your hands AND feet to sleep.

Danny Hamel was the King on this bike, but I'd take a 380 over it any day, unless less your hill climbing or ice racing.

They can be finiky to start at times, and they need a "big boy" kick to fire up.

• ktmfred300

Posted September 02, 2009 - 10:03 AM

Parts are going to be the problem. In the day they were a great desert bike a freind still has his 95 that I sold him. I would look for something newer because the SEM ignition will fail and is expensive to replace.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.