carb probs, 2003 WR450 lengthy sorry

2 replies to this topic
  • GS455stage1

Posted August 30, 2009 - 03:53 PM

Hello all...I'm very baffled at the moment on this one.
This bike sat for an unknown length of time with gas left in it,
tried to start luck. Drained carb bowl, and tank.
Put fresh gas in tank, and bowl would not fill back up. It sat overnite,
thought i'd try again in morning. It started right up , ran a little rough
but then gas started coming out overflow. took carb off super cleaned it, reassembled made sure needle was shutting off fuel. ran great .......:)

took it out today ran super....idle kept raising a couple times....
went 8 miles or so and it strted leaking gas again out overflow tube,
if you plug that with finger, after 30 secs or so gas comes out the vent tubes.

still ran great the whole the needle tip bad? could the bowl overflow tube have a crack?

on the bottom of the carb is a brass screw with a t handle that the mixture screw? how many turns out? i never changed the float level or drop.
I can ride it bud jeez a full tank lasts a half hour......:ride:

Help please........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted August 30, 2009 - 05:09 PM

Sounds like the float is stuck or the needle and seat are bad. Maybe the float linkage is gummed up. The seat is easy to test. Just move the float by hand and see if the flow stops.
The screw you mention is the pilot (fuel) screw. Start at 1.5 turns out and tune from there.

• William1

Posted August 30, 2009 - 05:24 PM

It probably is a bad float needle seat oring.Remove the float and needle, place yor finger over it and see if fuel still leaks past.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.