Recent '01 YZ426F owner opinions...

3 replies to this topic
  • sconner

Posted June 19, 2001 - 09:20 PM

I bought a 2001 YZ426F a couple months back and figured I would just post my opinion for others interested. After all I read this forum for a couple months just reading your posts to help my decision.

I have ridden it 5 times now. I have ridden sport ATVs for years but never owned a motorcycle untill this one. When I first rode it I thought for sure I bought too much bike for myself. That thing rips. After riding it several times I'm settling into it. Looking back on it I am VERY satisfied with my purchase. No troubles starting it whatsoever. (just when you forget to turn the gas on! :-) ) First kick almost every time. I am glad I went 4-stroke than the YZ250 2-stroke I was considering. Its just got gobs of torque.

My only complaint so far is 1st gear is too high for my liking, I do alot of trail riding and hill climbing as well and first is just a bit higher than I would like. I'll probably just drop a tooth on the front sprocket and see if I like that.

Anyway guys thanks and see you on the trails!

Steve Conner
2001 YZ426F
St. Peters MO

• Ga426owner1

Posted June 19, 2001 - 09:47 PM

test test //// my old password is not working

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Deadeye

Posted June 19, 2001 - 11:22 AM

I also felt first gear was to high for trail riding. I improved this by adding a 14oz Steele flywheel weight and a 13 tooth front spocket. The flywheel weight doesn't seem to have any negative effect on performance, it just made trail riding a whole lot more fun. Darrin

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 19, 2001 - 04:10 PM

I've only got about 3 hours on my bike so far and I love it! For the first time I think that I will not be shopping for any more special go-fast parts! If all goes well I'll get to take it to a MX track for the first time this friday, I can't even sleep thinking about the fun! :)

About the first gear, I agree it is very tall for trail riding. But I can see how anything lower, with the power that this thing makes, would be a waste for motocross. If only the WR had an identical power plant to the YZ with the exception of the gear box..

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.