Aluminum frame corrosion

19 replies to this topic
  • MR2turbo4evr

Posted August 29, 2009 - 09:20 PM

Hey guys,

I finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a 2006 YZ450F. I am absolutely in love with the bike. Now, the frame has a bunch of spots which look like corrosion. I've tried a few things to get rid of it (different polishes, cleaners, etc.). Does anybody know what I can do to get rid of them? Attached are a few pictures for reference. Thanks in advance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PS: I tried searching, however wasn't able to find anything.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 30, 2009 - 04:18 AM

Probably started because previous owner used a caustic cleaner.....
Try lighly sanding with a Scotch Brite to remove the dark areas. Only use soapy water or simple Green 50/50 mix with water to clean

• bendover932

Posted August 30, 2009 - 04:30 AM

A friend of mine bought a used 06 a couple years ago,and had the same spots..he tried every type of cleaner/polish he came across.. Even that stuff they used to show on tv that you dip an old penny in for 2 seconds and it came out like brand new to no avail...he tried soapy SOS pads, steel wool/wd40..scotch brite/wd40... Didn't touch it either..he talked to a guy that I believe owned a machine shop and was told if I remember correctly that the only way he would get that off would be to powersand/glassbead possibly up to 10 thousands of an inch... So he didn't bother and just ignored it

• USED YZ426F

Posted August 30, 2009 - 08:36 AM

Scotchbrite pads or baking soda and fine steel wool to clean it and polish it back up.

But, if they are only discolored spots, and not flaking or powdery at all, probably only discoloration from a cleaner, and really not something to fret over.

• MR2turbo4evr

Posted August 30, 2009 - 02:17 PM

A friend of mine bought a used 06 a couple years ago,and had the same spots..he tried every type of cleaner/polish he came across.. Even that stuff they used to show on tv that you dip an old penny in for 2 seconds and it came out like brand new to no avail...he tried soapy SOS pads, steel wool/wd40..scotch brite/wd40... Didn't touch it either..he talked to a guy that I believe owned a machine shop and was told if I remember correctly that the only way he would get that off would be to powersand/glassbead possibly up to 10 thousands of an inch... So he didn't bother and just ignored it

That's exactly what I didn't want to hear :ride:

I'll try the scotchbrite pads as suggested to see if it does anything. If not, I'll either have to live with it or get the frame sandblasted (I plan on taking the whole bike appart this winter anyway.....).

Thanks for the replies everybody!

• meyermetal

Posted August 30, 2009 - 02:37 PM

That part of the frame is cast and the surface is porous so dirt and oil gets rubbed in by your boots. You can get the spots out by first using a sandpaper pad on a DA sander then keep sanding with finer and finer grit and if you are going to do that you might as well polish the whole frame.

Your frame is not corroded. When aluminum corrodes it gets a white crusty film that is sometimes called “white rust” but usually only occurs when aluminum is sandwiched together and moisture gets trapped between the layers. I see this all the time at work. If your frame has white rust forming it will only be on the surface and won’t affect the strength of your frame and it will be a lot easier to get off than your rubbed in dirty spots.

• Rider_727

Posted September 02, 2009 - 03:58 PM

That's exactly what I didn't want to hear :ride:

I'll try the scotchbrite pads as suggested to see if it does anything. If not, I'll either have to live with it or get the frame sandblasted (I plan on taking the whole bike appart this winter anyway.....).

Thanks for the replies everybody!

If your going to go so far as to sand/bead blast the frame.. Your best bet is just to get the frame powdercoated.. Awesome stuff powder coat it is!!!

• mx730md

Posted September 03, 2009 - 01:02 PM

try the scotch bright pads made for your totlie i by the ones that come with the little handle and all... then spray the frame with wd40 and go to town . i would stay away from all the cleaners though like simple green etc.

aluminum brighter will also clean it . but it would be best to strip it down to a bare frame. which really wouldnt be that bad of an idea you could grease it all up and torque everything down to spec...

Posted Image

• gmanrn

Posted September 03, 2009 - 01:15 PM

I had the same thing and I used wet or dry sandpaper starting with 320 grit and moving in progressively finer increments up to 600 grit and finished with mothers aluminum polish. Looks awsome now. Also, I know this will sound crazy to some, but when my plastic gets scratched up I use the same wet or dry sandpaper system ending with 1200 grit and then apply minwax pastewax (yes the kind for hardwood floors). It doesnt have quite the high luster that brand new plastic has but it really does quite a nice job and I can keep my plastic looking great almost indefinetely for the price of a little elbow grease.

• sconeracing

Posted September 03, 2009 - 01:32 PM

you might try Aluma brite
you can get it from a welding supply company
we sell it I have not used it yet, but I plan on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MR2turbo4evr

Posted September 07, 2009 - 05:20 PM

try the scotch bright pads made for your totlie i by the ones that come with the little handle and all... then spray the frame with wd40 and go to town . i would stay away from all the cleaners though like simple green etc.

aluminum brighter will also clean it . but it would be best to strip it down to a bare frame. which really wouldnt be that bad of an idea you could grease it all up and torque everything down to spec....

That's the look I'm going for. Is this the kind of stuff you used? : http://www.aircrafts...tchabrasive.php

I had the same thing and I used wet or dry sandpaper starting with 320 grit and moving in progressively finer increments up to 600 grit and finished with mothers aluminum polish. Looks awsome now. Also, I know this will sound crazy to some, but when my plastic gets scratched up I use the same wet or dry sandpaper system ending with 1200 grit and then apply minwax pastewax (yes the kind for hardwood floors). It doesnt have quite the high luster that brand new plastic has but it really does quite a nice job and I can keep my plastic looking great almost indefinetely for the price of a little elbow grease.

Could you by any chance post a few pictures of your frame? Which grit sand paper would I have to use to finish to keep the factory look? I don't like the polished "chrome" look too much. Thanks

• mx730md

Posted September 07, 2009 - 05:26 PM

That's the look I'm going for. Is this the kind of stuff you used? : http://www.aircrafts...tchabrasive.php

Could you by any chance post a few pictures of your frame? Which grit sand paper would I have to use to finish to keep the factory look? I don't like the polished "chrome" look too much. Thanks

depend what kind of look do you want? the red pads really dig in and leave a nice scratch look kinda like what a new bike looks like on the showroom floor if you use the red pad make sure you scrub it in the same direction . i usually use the blueish/ green pad that arent really abrasive they work good on removing boot marks.

• MR2turbo4evr

Posted September 07, 2009 - 06:58 PM

depend what kind of look do you want? the red pads really dig in and leave a nice scratch look kinda like what a new bike looks like on the showroom floor if you use the red pad make sure you scrub it in the same direction . i usually use the blueish/ green pad that arent really abrasive they work good on removing boot marks.

Factory look is exactly what I'm going for. I'll try using the red stuff. I plan on taking the bike appart this winter to re-lube all the bearings and linkages, etc. I'll work on the frame then. Thanks again for all the help!

• mx730md

Posted September 08, 2009 - 04:07 AM

just make sure when you scrub it your going in the same direction or it will look bad.i clean mine going from the ground up. it will be a bit shiner but it doesnt look like a polished frame. if you want a dull finish acid cleaning is the only way to go but you will need a pressure washer and you will need a bare frame for best results .

• Fabulous

Posted September 08, 2009 - 12:01 PM

Have you tried Mr Clean magic eraser? I find it works awesome for all sorts of cleaning...

• MR2turbo4evr

Posted February 28, 2010 - 06:14 PM

Alright, I figured I'd update my thread. I ended up sanding the frame with 220 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper to get the brushed aluminum look. I added some Lightspeed carbon fiber frame guards, installed Supersprox sprockets front and back (52 tooth in the back, 14 in the front), DID X-ring chain, Metzeler rear tire, fuel filter, Trail Tech Vapor (hocked up to the rear wheel), Moose racing fork skins, new OEM cam chain, engine ICE and probably a few other little things I'm forgetting about. I'm very happy with the result. The frame looks really nice (better in real life than on the pictures) but unfortunately the plasics and frame guards cover most of it. Sanding the frame by hand took waaayyy longer than I thought (I easily spent 25 hours on it, if not more....) and I'll never do it again lol. It was a good project though and kept me fairly busy throughout the winter. Here are some pictures (I'll try to post better pictures in about 2 months from now when I can actually take the bike outside and ride it):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• tek_01

Posted February 28, 2010 - 07:42 PM

Good stuff looks better than before.
And the frame guards will save you a bit of headache too

• Frank_z28

Posted March 01, 2010 - 12:16 PM

Nice job. You should get rid of those warning sticker on the fender tho.

• WIfarmer

Posted March 01, 2010 - 01:22 PM

This best part is that you have it in your kitchen. VERY NICE!!

• MR2turbo4evr

Posted March 01, 2010 - 02:13 PM

This best part is that you have it in your kitchen. VERY NICE!!

Lol, it's actually a small room in the basement - not a kitchen. It's going to be fun lugging it up the stairs when it gets warmer.....

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.