46 replies to this topic
  • markgoodall

Posted August 29, 2009 - 10:36 AM

Okay, can you please check my procedure and tell me where I'm going wrong:

STEPS TO REPLACE SPARK PLUG ON 2003 XR250R
-----------------------------------------------

1 - Ask seller if he has the original stock spark plug wrench

2 - Thank him anyways

3 - See Motion Pro 18mm Spark Plug Socket in store and gasp at $25 price :smirk:

4 - Go to Lowes and purchase Kobalt 18mm deep socket for $6 :lol:

5 - Try new socket wrench and discover it's too fat to fit :p

6 - Go online and find OEM spark plug wrench, part# 89216-ML0-000 :ride:

7 - Order OEM spark plug wrench for $9 :)

8 - Receive email notification that the part is not available :lol:

9 - Find another online retailer and order the OEM part for $12 :lol:

10 - Discover it's not available there either because it's been discontinued :lol:

11 - Call Honda dealer who says they can definitely get it for me :)

12 - Receive phone call later saying they can't get the part for me :worthy:

13 - Go online to eBay and try to find stock spark plug wrench :p

14 - Get frustrated :p

15 - Give in and order Motion Pro 18mm Spark Plug Socket for $23

16 - Receive Motio Pro 18mm Spark Plug Socket #08-0175 for XR400 and other bikes :worthy:

17 - Discover that it doesn't fit for the same reason the Kobalt one didn't fit :p

18 - Remove two head bolts with 8mm wrench to make more room for socket

19 - Discover that there's still no way this socket will fit :cry:

20 - Run to computer to ask the experts here at Thumper Talk :cheers:

So......... what the heck's wrong?

I can't seem to find a stock OEM spark plug socket wrench anywhere. And the expensive Motion Pro tool doesn't even work. THe space between the cylinder head and the spark plug is just way to small, even for this thin walled socket.

I know an XR250R can easily run 20+ years on the same spark plug, but I've got this nice new NGK Iridium spark plug I really want to install.

Help!

• stevenacarter77

Posted August 29, 2009 - 12:00 PM

if you can figure out what the outside diameter is that will slide in to get the plug take the socket to a friend with a lathe and turn it down to that od. and i run chapion plugs in mine 5/8" wrinch

• MindBlower

Posted August 29, 2009 - 05:41 PM

see em on ebay all the time. I bought a new one from Service Honda or XR's ONly less than a year ago.

• markgoodall

Posted August 29, 2009 - 06:41 PM

see em on ebay all the time. I bought a new one from Service Honda or XR's ONly less than a year ago.

That's the one I got.... the Motion Pro 08-0175.
http://www.xrsonly.c...emart&Itemid=89

I says it will fit, but it doesn't.

I've been searching eBay for 3 months and can't find one. I'm using the stock part number as well as "XR250R tool" "XR250 spark plug" etc, and comeing up with nothing.

• stevenacarter77

Posted August 29, 2009 - 07:27 PM

i bet this will work http://cgi.ebay.com/...omotiveQ5fTools

• tek_01

Posted August 29, 2009 - 07:31 PM

that one pictured will work 100%

• SparksXR426

Posted August 29, 2009 - 08:12 PM

I lost the stock spark plug wrench for every XR I've ever owned. Just grind that deep socket down and it WILL work.

• ramz

Posted August 29, 2009 - 10:44 PM

There's a trick to getting the socket in place. If you just tip the socket into the hole from the front of the bike, it will hang up on the nubbins sticking in from the side. You have to go high and towards the rear, and drop the socket down from the top. If you look closely, you'll see where it just scrapes by the nubbins when you do it right. :ride: :)

PS any thin-wall 18 mm socket will work, but it has to be thin. :lol:

• CHIEFCULPRIT

Posted August 30, 2009 - 12:47 AM

did the exact same thing with the kobolt 18mm, got pissed went to honda and paid $25 and they ordered me the honda wrench. Mine was for an 94' xr250l should work for yours though. Dont know why honda says they cant get yours mine came in 3 days after I ordered it.

• markgoodall

Posted August 30, 2009 - 11:26 AM

did the exact same thing with the kobolt 18mm, got pissed went to honda and paid $25 and they ordered me the honda wrench. Mine was for an 94' xr250l should work for yours though. Dont know why honda says they cant get yours mine came in 3 days after I ordered it.

The dealer said it was discontinued and that the Motion Pro would defintely fit. I asked them if there was another, newer Honda that used a 18mm sparkplug so I could order the OEM socket from it, but they said no, just get the Motion Pro one. I suspect they didn't have the energy look through their online catalogs to find another one that woulf fit :lol:

THANKS GUYS! :ride: I bid and won :) that one on eBay.... and paid for quick shipping, so hopefully it will be here in a few days!

BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE who responded. I greatly appreciate it! :) :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pie-eyedpiper

Posted August 30, 2009 - 02:22 PM

I just use a box spanner and bar on my 250, not a problem.

• ATJ_Number_1

Posted August 30, 2009 - 04:12 PM

The dealer said it was discontinued and that the Motion Pro would defintely fit. I asked them if there was another, newer Honda that used a 18mm sparkplug so I could order the OEM socket from it, but they said no, just get the Motion Pro one. I suspect they didn't have the energy look through their online catalogs to find another one that woulf fit :ride:

You suspect right. The 400ex is still out there and has the same tool/issue. Cost is $8.13 and uses anything like a screw driver or allen wrench to turn it. They're wrong about yours being discontinued too, the XR250 socket is $8.96. Little advice, I gave up on parts counters LONG ago. You'll over pay and most of the time talk to fools.

• stevenacarter77

Posted August 30, 2009 - 05:13 PM

markgoodall; your welcome

• markgoodall

Posted August 30, 2009 - 07:09 PM

I just use a box spanner and bar on my 250, not a problem.

A box spanner? Box spanner? What do you think this is?? England? :)

:lol:

Ah yes, I recall me mum calling it that when I was but a wee lad. :)

Actually the stock/OEM spark plug wrench is a "box spanner" except here we call it an "impossible to find light-weight spark plug wrench".

Posted Image

Hardware and automotive stores sell them but usually only in a 5/8" size, often as a lawn mower spark plug wrench,
but other than that most any other place that sells a spark plug socket wrench around here will be like this:

Posted Image

Box spanner? I haven't heard that in years. Think I'll call me mum tomorrow and see how she's doing. :ride:

• markgoodall

Posted September 05, 2009 - 04:04 AM

:busted:

PS any thin-wall 18 mm socket will work, but it has to be thin. :smirk:

did the exact same thing with the kobolt 18mm, got pissed went to honda and paid $25 and they ordered me the honda wrench.

I bid and won that one on eBay.... and paid for quick shipping, so hopefully it will be here in a few days!

Nope :thumbsup:
You're NOT gonna believe this...... I actually bought two from this guy on eBay, and received them....... they don't fit. :eek: :eek: :eek: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :D :banghead:

• markgoodall

Posted September 05, 2009 - 06:45 AM

Okay....... think I've figured it out. It's pretty crazy. Need to check a few things for accuracy before posting the answer.

Stay tuned!

• ATJ_Number_1

Posted September 05, 2009 - 07:55 AM

Okay....... think I've figured it out. It's pretty crazy.

Ordering the OEM one isn't crazy, why haven't you gone that route yet?

• mcnutty

Posted September 05, 2009 - 09:47 AM

You probably figured out what ramz told you in the beginning of the thread. If the socket is not aligned exactly right it will not go in. Once you figure out the angle it needs to go in and how to do it it will work like magic. I use a regular Snap-on deep socket. The diameter of the socket did not need to be turned down on a lathe either.

• markgoodall

Posted September 05, 2009 - 01:09 PM

Ordering the OEM one isn't crazy, why haven't you gone that route yet?

Ordering the OEM one was already attempted in steps #7, #9 and #11

Thanks anyways.

• markgoodall

Posted September 05, 2009 - 01:14 PM

You probably figured out what ramz told you in the beginning of the thread. If the socket is not aligned exactly right it will not go in. Once you figure out the angle it needs to go in and how to do it it will work like magic. I use a regular Snap-on deep socket. The diameter of the socket did not need to be turned down on a lathe either.

Nope, that's not the right answer either. But thanks anyways!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

My first dirt bike xr250 1997 by w00dzy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  93 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 carb tuning(96-97 difference after 97) by NEODS

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 smoking suddenly, replace plug, adjust valves or fuel mixture? by Landcrab

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Cylinder question: hone, bore, or do nothing by enoxos

• 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Unexpected lean XR400...confused. by blackavenger

• Hot  25 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.