TPS Adjust - How to?

8 replies to this topic
  • ASternad

Posted August 29, 2009 - 06:06 AM

If you don't want to remove the carb off the bike (09 WR450), is it still possible to get to the torx bolt to adjust the sensor?

• Wrfrk

Posted August 29, 2009 - 07:08 AM

I doubt it. Why would you need to adjust it?

• ASternad

Posted August 29, 2009 - 08:09 AM

I've got a kind of studder in 1st-3rd gear at a certain throttle opening.
With TPS unplugged it's gone, but the engine has lost a little crispness on initial throttle cracking. I haven't checked the TPS readings yet, just in case I need to twist the TPS, I wanted to know if there is an easier way.

• nitronaf

Posted August 29, 2009 - 07:32 PM

I've got a kind of studder in 1st-3rd gear at a certain throttle opening.
With TPS unplugged it's gone, but the engine has lost a little crispness on initial throttle cracking. I haven't checked the TPS readings yet, just in case I need to twist the TPS, I wanted to know if there is an easier way.

i tried chasing my stutter by adjusting the TPS. its covered in your manual. you basically measure the ohms as i recall.
i tried setting mine to min and to max. didnt really make much difference.
only my vortex x10 on map 07/08 fixed my stutter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted August 30, 2009 - 03:58 AM

A bunch of testing was done by some fellow TTers and myself regarding the stuttering. Next week we will 'publish' what we found. So far, the best solution for those that have the Grey wire disconnected is to go to a Vortex CDI like nitronaf states. Other solutions, albeit significantly cheaper, have a some side effects. These side effects will be discussed, and you can then decide on a solution that woks best for you (or just live with it).

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 30, 2009 - 05:21 AM

A bunch of testing was done by some fellow TTers and myself regarding the stuttering. Next week we will 'publish' what we found. So far, the best solution for those that have the Grey wire disconnected is to go to a Vortex CDI like nitronaf states. Other solutions, albeit significantly cheaper, have a some side effects. These side effects will be discussed, and you can then decide on a solution that woks best for you (or just live with it).

:ride: :) :) :lol: :lol:

• ASternad

Posted August 30, 2009 - 05:43 AM

Well if that is the case I will most likely go with a Dyna FS CDI. Found a dealer on ebay, $280 shipped. I waiting to verify that they are shipping the latest build date, as mentioned in a TT post in Aug.

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2009 - 08:23 AM

...adjusting the TPS (is) covered in your manual. you basically measure the ohms as i recall.

Testing the coil in the unit is done with an ohmmeter, but the adjustment is set by back probing the connected TPS and measuring the signal voltage to the CDI while the bike runs. It is covered by the manual, as nitron states, and should be at or near page 6-21.

I'll be interested to see what you guys came up with on this, William.

• ASternad

Posted August 30, 2009 - 11:19 AM

Ok,
I read the manual, but interpreted the back probing while running as the method to check settings. I will read again and verify. The issue seems to go away when the TPS is disconnected. Funny thing, I notice the issue when climbing a hill in 1st and 2nd at steady throttle, doesn't quite follow the same complaint everyone is posting.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.