how loud is stock exhaust?

4 replies to this topic
  • Feral Donkey

Posted August 28, 2009 - 12:08 PM

On my WR400 I have the stock exhaust. I'm doing the bigwoods 200 ride in northern Wisconsin with it next month and I got an email saying they're doing sound checks and our bikes must be under 96dbl. I have no idea how loud that is. Is this something I should worry about?

• jayh300

Posted August 28, 2009 - 12:26 PM

If it were me, I would have it checked. You can buy a db meter at radio shack in the 30.00 range. I would also get clarification on how they are going to test your bike and what db scale they will use, those meters have both "a" and "c" scales.
Having said that, I was shocked when my yz400f hit 100db with my db meter on the seat. I did not think it was that loud either...
You probably are fine, but I would hate to lose a ride over it..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • panaman

Posted August 28, 2009 - 02:14 PM

everytime i've done any of these dualsport events, the people with stock exhausts never even get checked....

They just look at it and say.. oh your stock your fine....

• Pooley

Posted August 31, 2009 - 11:45 AM

If the 400 stock exhaust is anything like my 426 stock, with the tiny little peashooter insert, you will probably be under 90. I think I tested at 89 dB when I was in stock form back in 01.

• rkwfxd1

Posted September 04, 2009 - 08:19 AM

Check the inside (left / tire side) of the muffler to see if anything is stamped on it. I was curious about my '09 and found on the inside (left / tire side) of the muffler a factory notice that says the bike complies with an 82db sound limit in stock form.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.