Won't Start again

4 replies to this topic
  • The Village Idiot

Posted August 28, 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hi All,
I had a relatively hard fall 4 months ago and fractured my shoulder. My bike has been standing since and only today did I start it again after a lot of kicking. I rode for approximately 10 minutes and then it began backfiring and then stalled not to be started again.
I'm hoping someone can guide me as to what person should typically do to the bike if it has been standing for 4 months. What would have happened in the carburettor/spark plag etc. during this time.
Looking forward to your response.
Regards from South Africa
2009 YZ450F

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2009 - 09:06 AM

Start by dumping the fuel (properly) and draining the carb. If that doesn't take care of it, you probably have dried fuel varnish in the carb.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Village Idiot

Posted August 28, 2009 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for the reply, firstly, when you say "dump" the fuel, do you mean that which is in the tank as well? and secondly, is there a way to remove this varnish (some or other solvent flush) or would I have to strip the carb.

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2009 - 11:53 AM

Yes, all of the fuel. Gasoline ages poorly, especially in plastic containers.

You may be able to remove the varnish by adding injector cleaner to the tank, or by spraying a carb cleaner into the jets from the bottom plug, but you may have to open the carb up farther.

• The Village Idiot

Posted August 29, 2009 - 01:33 AM

Thanks GR. I'll give that a bash tomorrow and let you know my findings.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.