Considering a WR450F

10 replies to this topic
  • yrun

Posted August 27, 2009 - 07:20 AM

OK-I've been looking at this bike for awhile; Have really come close to pulling the trigger, but for whatever reason have not yet done so.

Currently riding a DR650 and WR250R; If I got the 450, it would replace my 250R which is a great dual sport (really good on the road as well).

A couple of questions on the WR450F.

It seems there are alot of jetting threads here in the forum. Can I expext to always be messing with the carb? Or are they pretty solid once you get it dialed in for your location? If I jetted for my area (800 ft above sea level), would I have to rejet if I went to Moab at 4500 ft?

Do most of you guys you own them race, or mainly use on the mx track?

For me I would mainly use as dirt bike, only highway would be to connect trails etc. My main use would probably be in others states where the riding is better, michigan, arkansas and out west (moab area).

I've been following all the threads in this forum for the last month or so and also have read most of the "stickies" etc.

Thanks for any input.

Joe

• bikeslut

Posted August 27, 2009 - 07:32 AM

I have a 650L, DRZ400 and WR250F... I would trade all of them for a plated WR450F

• desertlover

Posted August 27, 2009 - 09:41 AM

Why do you want to replace the 250? I have an 07 450wr plated, I use it for what you want it for. I like it!!! I want a DL 650 to compliment it.

Oh! it goes to Moab...

• KennyMc

Posted August 27, 2009 - 10:19 AM

Once you get the jetting done, you shouldn't have to touch it again. I ride mine from 2,500' - 9,500' without any changes.

• Pangia

Posted August 27, 2009 - 11:02 AM

You have a wr250r not wr250f right? One difference you might notice is the suspension. I have been told that the suspension on the wr250r is not as aggressive as the wr250f. I ride my wr450f mostly off road on forest service jeep trails, single track and in the desert and I love it!!:ride: It has a lot of low end grunt that pulls me up and through windy dense areas that my buddy on a YZ can not make because he has to go all out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yrun

Posted August 27, 2009 - 12:40 PM

Why do you want to replace the 250? I have an 07 450wr plated, I use it for what you want it for. I like it!!! I want a DL 650 to compliment it.

Oh! it goes to Moab...

There have been times when I found myself wanting more power and grunt; That's not to say that the WR250R is not an awesome "all way" type trail bike.

Common sense tells me to be happy with what I have:bonk:

I owned a DL650 in the past and agree that it would compliment a 250 or 450 quite well; One for the road and one for the dirt!!

Thanks,

Joe

• yrun

Posted August 27, 2009 - 12:42 PM

You have a wr250r not wr250f right? One difference you might notice is the suspension. I have been told that the suspension on the wr250r is not as aggressive as the wr250f. I ride my wr450f mostly off road on forest service jeep trails, single track and in the desert and I love it!!:ride: It has a lot of low end grunt that pulls me up and through windy dense areas that my buddy on a YZ can not make because he has to go all out.

Yes that is correct I have the 250r...

Thanks,

Joe

• erickdj

Posted August 27, 2009 - 01:37 PM

I think the wr450f would be an awesome replacement for your wr250r, it would actually smoke it in every kind of riding, dirt, street, whatever. The wr450f does it better. If you have the ability to plate a wr450f in your state, then by all means sell that wr250r and the the 450, you won't regret it. The jetting should be a "set it and forget it" kind of deal. I ride mine from 500ft to 6500ft in 35* to 100* temps and never have to mess with the jetting. Obviously it will run less than "optimally" in some cases, but it seems fine to me. I've never had to mess with the jetting after the initial setup. The wr450f will handle dual-sporting for connecting trails perfectly, can't think of any issues with that. In my opinion, it's more of a dual-sport bike than the wr250r will ever be, and a REAL dirt bike as well. Can't go wrong with it, specially if you can plate it. Don't worry about the "grunt", it has PLENTY, specially once you do some light modding to it. Just the free mods alone and an exhaust will transform the bike.

• yrun

Posted August 28, 2009 - 06:32 AM

I think the wr450f would be an awesome replacement for your wr250r, it would actually smoke it in every kind of riding, dirt, street, whatever. The wr450f does it better. If you have the ability to plate a wr450f in your state, then by all means sell that wr250r and the the 450, you won't regret it. The jetting should be a "set it and forget it" kind of deal. I ride mine from 500ft to 6500ft in 35* to 100* temps and never have to mess with the jetting. Obviously it will run less than "optimally" in some cases, but it seems fine to me. I've never had to mess with the jetting after the initial setup. The wr450f will handle dual-sporting for connecting trails perfectly, can't think of any issues with that. In my opinion, it's more of a dual-sport bike than the wr250r will ever be, and a REAL dirt bike as well. Can't go wrong with it, specially if you can plate it. Don't worry about the "grunt", it has PLENTY, specially once you do some light modding to it. Just the free mods alone and an exhaust will transform the bike.

thanks for the detailed reply; Just curious though? How much seat time do you have on the wr250r in order to make the road comparision?

thanks,

Joe

• erickdj

Posted August 28, 2009 - 08:17 AM

thanks for the detailed reply; Just curious though? How much seat time do you have on the wr250r in order to make the road comparision?

thanks,

Joe

No actual "seat time", but have seen plenty of feedback here on the forums from people that do have said "time". I have however, sat on the bike at the showroom and felt how heavy it is. Obviously not enough to call judgement, but I do have seat time on other heavy and underpowered 250cc bikes to give me an idea of what to expect. As far as "seat time" on the wr450f, well, let's just say that I've got more seat time on it than I need to know how great of a bike it is. I know I'll get flamed and eaten alive for saying it, but nobody needs seat time on a toyota corolla to know that it has nothing against a corvette.

• WRSJ

Posted August 28, 2009 - 10:21 AM

I sold a 04 KTM,200EXC and 03 KTM SXC 625, for my 09 WR450 and love it, no need for 2 when one does it all.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.