Gray wire? No lid? What??????

4 replies to this topic
  • flattop6

Posted April 03, 2003 - 02:28 PM

:excuseme:I just purchased a 1998 WR400 and am wondering about some of the WR lingo. What is the gray wire, and what are some of the other mods that I keep reading about? What mods should be done to a 1998 WR400f? Any help would be appreciated.
P.s. I also have a pristine 1996 YZ250 for sale. All 2001 plastic and graphics, never raced, trail ridden only. Very nice clean 2 stroke. I have lots of pics. bb.rugger2@attbi.com

• BrandonW

Posted April 03, 2003 - 02:38 PM

You get one with a plate?

If so, then you will be :D

if not, then you will be :)

Just kiddin. Great bike either way.

Grey wire is located under the tank, in a black, two-wire connector. Pull that connector apart, and pull out the grey wire, then reconnect connector. That will allow your bike to use the YZ ignition mapping, and it will feel like a new bike. (I bet this has already been done to your bike)

After that, there is the:
Throttle stop
Air Box cover
Remove exhaust baffle
BK mod/Wheel collar limiter on Accelerator pump

After that, YZ seat/tank combo

Then, YZ timing..

After that, '03 cam...

That ought to keep you busy for awhile. (Use the search feature with these phrases, and you will have more information than you could shake a stick at)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flattop6

Posted April 03, 2003 - 03:06 PM

I did get one with a plate, which was difficult in Washington. It has a Baja Designs kit, and an FMF core4 exhaust system. I found a bike with the original tank and seat because I did not want the smaller YZ seat and tank. Why do so many people make that mod? Are there other benefits to the YZ tank and seat other than looks? I realy wanted a stock looking WR.

• SBG

Posted April 03, 2003 - 05:11 PM

If you are trail riding and not racing, stay with the stock tank and seat. The only reason to swap is to get your weight further up on the front end so you can corner better. There is a difference, but it probably isn't worth the money if most of your riding is casual to moderately fast.

• jackalope

Posted April 03, 2003 - 06:06 PM

You can also get an acerbis or IMS tank that utilizes the YZ seat. It makes a big difference on that bike plus holds more fuel. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.