will early genuine steel valves replace ti ?

8 replies to this topic
  • stevietune

Posted August 27, 2009 - 02:50 AM

Got an 01 426 here needs valves and am wondering if anyone has tried fitting the early steel valves (98, 99, 00, 400f) as they seemed to be way more reliable. Are stem diameters same? Seat materials suitable? Thinking early springs should be stronger to suit also , be good to know ! Not super keen on stainless valves as was taught that a metal that work hardens is not really suitable for long life....plus this guy is on a budget. cheers TT crew

• ncampion

Posted August 27, 2009 - 06:28 AM

Yes, you can use the early steel valves but must also use the springs and I believe the keepers. The steel valves will last forever and you don't have to worry about breaking off a head.

• TLRam1

Posted August 27, 2009 - 06:35 AM

Could this be done on the 450 also?

• SPLATT

Posted August 27, 2009 - 10:34 AM

I would also like to know.

Steve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted August 27, 2009 - 06:03 PM

Check the P/Ns at the TT store...if the 450 and 426 valves are the same P/N it will work...but I don't believe that's the case...

• pablo83

Posted August 27, 2009 - 09:06 PM

Got an 01 426 here needs valves and am wondering if anyone has tried fitting the early steel valves (98, 99, 00, 400f) as they seemed to be way more reliable. Are stem diameters same? Seat materials suitable? Thinking early springs should be stronger to suit also , be good to know ! Not super keen on stainless valves as was taught that a metal that work hardens is not really suitable for long life....plus this guy is on a budget. cheers TT crew

Like the other guy said, yes this will work. I have them in my 426. You need the springs and clips for the steel valves as well. One set of valves (can't remember if it's the intake or exhaust) are stainless and the others are not.

• pablo83

Posted August 27, 2009 - 09:06 PM

I think the answer is no, but I'm not sure.

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2009 - 09:18 AM

The 426 SS Valves will not fit the 450. Nor will the valve springs.

Kibblewhite is pretty much the only choice you have in Stainless.

• SPLATT

Posted August 28, 2009 - 05:25 PM

The 426 SS Valves will not fit the 450. Nor will the valve springs.

Kibblewhite is pretty much the only choice you have in Stainless.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.