How short can you cut your bars?

16 replies to this topic
  • Beta_Man

Posted April 03, 2003 - 08:51 AM

I was thinking about getting a set of cycra probends handguards with the triple clamp mount. There appears to only be one hole so if you cut your bars to short the handguards would not fit. I like to have my handle bars cut to about 29" will they work.

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 03, 2003 - 03:29 PM

28" is as short as I have ever seen bars cut down to. You should be able to fit everything but there wont be much or any room left for your tie downs. :)

• ThumperWR450F

Posted April 03, 2003 - 03:33 PM

all of my bars get cut down to 29 1/2 and everything fits fine for me.i have yet to cut my WR's down yet cause i am having too much fun riding it !! :)

• wr250rr

Posted April 04, 2003 - 04:45 AM

Mine are cut to 27 1/2 in. I cut about 3/4 in off the hand guards and drilled another hole to make it fit, and had to put the starter button on the left side of the front brake perch.

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted April 04, 2003 - 07:28 AM

Mines at 28"

• beezer

Posted April 04, 2003 - 08:15 AM

Woods rats by me run CR80 bars.

• tctrailrider

Posted April 04, 2003 - 08:32 AM

I run YZ 80 bars. Think they are 28". The narrowness is in the crossbar area. Plenty of room on the ends to fit everything including horn, mirror, tie downs, bark busters etc. For those who want the narrow bars this is the way to go. YZ 85 bars are the same.

• Beta_Man

Posted April 04, 2003 - 10:05 AM

Are these yz 80 bars the stock bars or can you get them from after market companies too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tctrailrider

Posted April 04, 2003 - 12:14 PM

Bigd,
Mine are Renthal, and I think other aftermarket companies offer them also. Stock YZ bars would be very soft. Just ask for YZ80 or 85 bend and they know what your after.

• xr600r

Posted April 04, 2003 - 03:37 PM

i'm running renthal yz85 bend on mine. i'm 6-2 and they fit me perfect. nice and high and you dont have to cut them , and you still have plenty of room for everything.
:)....god that cracks me up

• Superbike

Posted April 04, 2003 - 05:39 PM

I always get the bars I want and cut them to 30". I run FMF Enduro high BFB (protaper). This is the best of both worlds. I have yet tho have a real hard time. I have Probends and really like them. I have wide hands and the bend makes a difference. ---Mike :) <---Now that is funny!

• Ian_M.

Posted April 11, 2003 - 03:01 PM

I have tag bars with cycra probends. i had to do like the one guy mentioned above, my bars are 29 inches to the outside of the guard. i had to cut about 1 inch off the guard and drill a new hole. mine also mount by the triple clamp.worsk great i havent had any problems :)

• Florida_426

Posted April 12, 2003 - 05:27 AM

Machoman runs the YZ 80 bend bars on his YZ 250F for Hare Scrambles and woods work. No cutting to do and available from most of the bar manufacturers. Dwight Rudder gave him this tip. After watching him at the GMB I race I believe he has complete control over his bike and still keeps the bark busters on the bars with no modifications.

Bill

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 12, 2003 - 07:49 AM

I've recently bought new bars, my old PT's were cut at 29 and my new Renthal Fatbars are uncut at 31.5 I'm happier with the wider bars as I feel they give me more control, more leverage to keep my bike straight... If I were a woods guy I'de probably feel diffenently...

:)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 13, 2003 - 04:07 AM

Ian, sounds like you read bigd's question correctly. "How short can you cut your bars and still allow the pro bends with triple clamp mounts to fit?"
So your saying you had to cut the guard a little shorter and redrill the mounting hole? Guesse I better make sure I like my bar width before I do any cutting! :)

• CRF250X Rider

Posted February 20, 2008 - 01:06 PM

Ian, sounds like you read bigd's question correctly. "How short can you cut your bars and still allow the pro bends with triple clamp mounts to fit?"
So your saying you had to cut the guard a little shorter and redrill the mounting hole? Guesse I better make sure I like my bar width before I do any cutting! :)

Ok I know this is an extremely, extremely, extremely, extremely old thread, but since when can you sign in as a guest? :applause:

• dirtysouth

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:25 PM

Ok I know this is an extremely, extremely, extremely, extremely old thread, but since when can you sign in as a guest? :applause:

2003 man that IS a while back...on another note does anyone have pics of this YZ 80/85 handlebar action on their bike that they would like to post? I am interested...this is the first that I have heard of this and think that I would like to try it out...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.