06 Wr450...

21 replies to this topic
  • jayh300

Posted August 25, 2009 - 12:21 PM

So my riding partner picked up a nice 04 wr450 a few months ago and after getting it lined out, I have gotten a chance to spend some time on it. (If you recall this is the 04 that when we got it home had no main jet in it ) He has really enjoyed the bike and I was a little skeptical of the weight. I must say I have been very impressed and have been watching for one close by in my spare time.
I found an 06 pretty close to home and it looks very nice, so I sent the guy a deposit and am going to pick it up saturday... Can't wait.. I have always been a yamaha fan. still have my gas gas, but no thoughts that at some point I won't be waiting on a part from spain, even though so far in the last year or so, parts have not been a problem.
It is uncorked, tt ais removal kit,m4 pipe, jd jet kit ( which I hope will be close as we are pretty close..) Also comes with a magura hyd clutch, not installed yet...
saturday will not get here quick enough.. will post up pix's when i get it..

• YamaLink

Posted August 26, 2009 - 08:13 PM

You gonna keep the GG and RMX?

• jayh300

Posted August 27, 2009 - 04:47 AM

You gonna keep the GG and RMX?

the gg 300, yes for sure. The RMX, probably. I have a ton of time and money in it that i will never get out of it. When I bought it, the oil drain hole in the case was broken out, so it got a new set of cases. Plus my 19 yr old still rides with me at times and I would rather see him crash the rmx than the gg...
I will probably be getting with you for a link. At 5'6" i many need one for the WR...

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 27, 2009 - 06:24 AM

consider shaving your seat down. It was the best mod for my 29" inseam:o

• jayh300

Posted August 27, 2009 - 06:31 AM

consider shaving your seat down. It was the best mod for my 29" inseam:o

i did that on a yz400f i had, worked pretty good too. I had a buddy who does auto interiors put some soft foam in it also, it was sweet...:ride:
I have never been able to put more than a toe down on anything anyway.
My son who is 6-1 ish puts both feet flat footed on everything...
cheater...

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 27, 2009 - 08:09 AM

i did that on a yz400f i had, worked pretty good too. I had a buddy who does auto interiors put some soft foam in it also, it was sweet...:ride:
I have never been able to put more than a toe down on anything anyway.
My son who is 6-1 ish puts both feet flat footed on everything...
cheater...

sure he's yours?:)

• jayh300

Posted August 27, 2009 - 08:33 AM

sure he's yours?:ride:

it is kinda strange i have the same mail man where ever i live....
here, tulsa, back here.....

na he's mine.... the wife units dad was way tall... I tell him i was that tall when i married his mom.... years of being beat down....

• ww44wrf450f

Posted August 27, 2009 - 06:35 PM

:ride: :) :lol: lmao

• jayh300

Posted August 29, 2009 - 04:01 PM

got it home... pretty sweet
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• thatraptorguy

Posted August 29, 2009 - 04:31 PM

looks like a nice bike how many hours are on it did he say?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted August 29, 2009 - 05:37 PM

he said the guy he got it from 6 months ago might have put 20 hrs on it..
He rode it for the last 6 months quite a bit, but it is very nice...

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2009 - 06:34 PM

Nice, Jay:thumbsup:

If its as good as it looks, you're in business. Aren't you glad you didn't go for the '03?

• bentsprocket

Posted August 29, 2009 - 06:45 PM

I don't like it..... It's not a Honda :ride:
Good looking bike man!

• jayh300

Posted August 29, 2009 - 07:18 PM

Nice, Jay:thumbsup:

If its as good as it looks, you're in business. Aren't you glad you didn't go for the '03?

yes sir....

• jayh300

Posted August 29, 2009 - 07:19 PM

I don't like it..... It's not a Honda :ride:
Good looking bike man!

come on now.....gonna have to cover that honda with a nice rooooostt...

• ww44wrf450f

Posted August 30, 2009 - 08:14 AM

Don't want to burst any bubbles, but, looking at the pics. I would guesstimate 50 hours or so, by the cases and paint scuff by the boots? - new front tire, but it is in great shape:ride: :ride: IMO, this winter I would slap a new piston and rings, check valves, re-grease everything, fork oils and be trouble free for years?? Piston and rings could'be overkill, but I hope people get the drift?:) :lol:

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2009 - 08:28 AM

I don't want to bust any, either, but I've seen that kind of paint removal in less than 20 hours a number of times. Depends on your style.

A leak down test will tell a lot more about the top end than looking at the cases will, but looking at the valves and lubrication condition is always a good idea.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted August 30, 2009 - 10:12 AM

I don't want to bust any, either, but I've seen that kind of paint removal in less than 20 hours a number of times. Depends on your style.

A leak down test will tell a lot more about the top end than looking at the cases will, but looking at the valves and lubrication condition is always a good idea.

I see your point! How long does a stock tire last on a wr450 in Texas? Any ideas? I put Track-Master K760's, they seem to work and last ok for a dot tire? so I could plate them.

• jayh300

Posted August 30, 2009 - 02:44 PM

he said twenty hours before he got it.... and he told me he rode it alot in the last 6 months so i am thinking the 50 hour is about right... he told me they ride every saturday morning they could.
a timing chain, valve check, fork seal and service, scotts stainless filter, ams oil and full check over is coming very soon, since i am not sure.
it fires right up effortlessly with the push of the button....

we put a maxxis it on my partners wr450 about 6 months ago and it is sure showning wear. not sure what i am going to put on this one.
the michelin m12 on my 300 has worn very well, but i think the 450 is going to be harder on tires....
I also did not get to leave without riding his 2010 450 berg... fi .. e start.
it was pretty cool. he was a very nice guy and very easy to deal with..

jay

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 31, 2009 - 07:10 AM

The stock front tire is el stinko. I could see it being replaced ofter ride #2.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.