Clutch baske problems

3 replies to this topic
  • bigtom17

Posted April 03, 2003 - 07:12 AM

So now I have over a year of some hard riding on the BRP, now I am wondering what else to spend money on. Who has replaced or had problems with clutch baskets or springs etc. How concerned should I be with replacing the clutch basket. I see this is a popular upgrade and wanted to know if anyone is having issues with their clutch.

• CoreyClough

Posted April 03, 2003 - 08:02 PM

Eventhough I don't have a BRP, I wouldn't mess with the clutch till it starts to slip in high gear under a hard load. When inspecting the outer basket, look at the edges of the fingers that the metal plates ride against, and see if there are any notches in them. This will be common on older bikes. If there are groves that you can really feel, replace the basket when it comes time to do the clutch, plates, dicsc, and springs. Inspect the center basket for the same nicks, groves and abnormal wear from the plates as well. At that point, you will want to upgrade to a better/stronger clutch assembly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dutch

Posted April 04, 2003 - 04:10 AM

You have been over to the WR450 side haven't you? :D That's ok - I sort of envy those guys some times when it gets real slow on the BRP side. :D
Now - if we could just shear a key or two over here :)

• sunnymex

Posted April 04, 2003 - 06:59 AM

Speaking of the WR 450's anyone know the top speed of one? I know the 426's can reach mid 90's. How much more do you think the 450's can go? :)

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.