01 YZ426F front wheel bounce?

6 replies to this topic
  • dfalcon217

Posted August 25, 2009 - 06:31 AM

Hey guys, as you can see I'm brand new to the forums and also a beginner rider. Looks like there is quite a bit knowledge round here and after my first day of riding my new (used) bike I thought I'd raise a question.

I bought an 01 YZ426F, the only suspension work thats been done to it is the rear spring. He replaced the OEM 5.4 spring with an Eibach 5.8, I seemed to get a lot of front wheel bounce. A lot of my riding Sunday was through semi-soft loose gravel and when I had it 3/4 throttle in 2nd gear-1/2 throttle in 3rd. the front wheel was really squirrly. Seemed like I couldn't keep that thing on the ground at all. Like I said I'm pretty new all I've ever ridden were YZ426 bikes maybe 20 hours total, so without breakin out tools all I could think to do is try to shift more weight to the front of my bike. Didn't help matters much.

Last night with the help of the manual, I restored all suspension to stock clicks. Figured all I could do is start from there, ride, click, ride, click and so on. He did have the front rebound uneven, 18 clicks on the right (while sitting on bike) and 13 on the left. The compression was a little on the stiff side 8 clicks out.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions you guys might have. I live right near Works Connection and have been told to take it to them and have them dial everything in for my size/weight but since I just bought the bike I need to recoup some cashola before I do that.

Thanks folks!
Dave

• 642MX

Posted August 25, 2009 - 06:38 AM

Welcome to TT. :ride:

Does the forks have any oil in them? The older YZF fork turns into a pogo stick without the proper oil level.

• dfalcon217

Posted August 25, 2009 - 07:07 AM

Thanks!

I read through the sticky and to be honest I got kinda lost in the setup page. Maybe it was all the lingo. Also I don't think I have enough variations in terrain where I'm doing most of my riding.

As far as fluid goes I have no idea, haven't got that far into it yet :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted August 25, 2009 - 09:15 AM

When you say 'bounce' do you mean like a pogo stick, or do you mean it is choppy and deflecting off everything you hit?

• dfalcon217

Posted August 26, 2009 - 05:16 AM

When you say 'bounce' do you mean like a pogo stick, or do you mean it is choppy and deflecting off everything you hit?

Choppy and deflecting and seemed to deflect off to one side. The previous owner had the fork comp n rebound set uneven by as much as 6 clicks to one side.

• Wiz636

Posted August 26, 2009 - 06:47 AM

Choppy and deflecting and seemed to deflect off to one side. The previous owner had the fork comp n rebound set uneven by as much as 6 clicks to one side.

Could be a few different things. First off the forks would probably benefit greatly from a simple servicing, i.e., good internal cleaning and fresh fluid, replacement of any worn bushings, etc.

Aside from that, make sure that you set the rear sag correctly so that the bike has the right geometry (it's in the manual).

Make sure that the forks are not binding from mis-alignment. Leaving your axle nut tight, loosen all four axle pinchbolts and loosen the lower triple clamp bolts then bounce the front suspension up and down several times while the bike is on a stand. Re-torque everything.

Bleed any built up air from the forks with the bleeder screws located on top of the forks.

On the clickers, adjust the rebound first then work on the compression. I don't know how much you weigh but try starting out with the rebound around
12 clicks out and the compression about the same.

Good luck!

• dfalcon217

Posted August 26, 2009 - 09:07 AM

Could be a few different things. First off the forks would probably benefit greatly from a simple servicing, i.e., good internal cleaning and fresh fluid, replacement of any worn bushings, etc.

Aside from that, make sure that you set the rear sag correctly so that the bike has the right geometry (it's in the manual).

Make sure that the forks are not binding from mis-alignment. Leaving your axle nut tight, loosen all four axle pinchbolts and loosen the lower triple clamp bolts then bounce the front suspension up and down several times while the bike is on a stand. Re-torque everything.

Bleed any built up air from the forks with the bleeder screws located on top of the forks.

On the clickers, adjust the rebound first then work on the compression. I don't know how much you weigh but try starting out with the rebound around
12 clicks out and the compression about the same.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input, I'm gonna give that a shot n see where that gets me.

EDIT: I'm likin TT so far, lotta helpful people on here!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.