Grips????

22 replies to this topic
  • gdbarr1976

Posted August 24, 2009 - 01:00 PM

Just curious, what brand/style of grips do you guys use? The reason I am asking is the older I get the more I seem to worry about my controls as in are they as easy as possible. One thing I did that I really like is a motion pro cable. Or is is pro motion? Also Sat I picked up some pillow top grips. I think they are made by renthal. I have been using the renthal dual compound half waffle. My initial impression of these pillow tops are that they take less grip for the same grip, if you know what I mean. I hope that will mean less arm pump. I'll know after this weekend.

So, what do you guys use?

• geshields

Posted August 24, 2009 - 01:29 PM

I have become a big fan of the TAG rebound grips. They wear faster than the others but they help with numbness and fatigue after wrist surgery....

• anthony250

Posted August 24, 2009 - 01:29 PM

Ive been using Renthal myself for years , and Pro Taper

• clutchless

Posted August 24, 2009 - 01:44 PM

Posted Image

• Beaz

Posted August 24, 2009 - 01:50 PM

I think the pillow tops you speak of Are pro taper
As i have a pair there a little fatter than the rest but
i kind of like them

• cowboyona426

Posted August 24, 2009 - 01:52 PM

I've been running FMF 909 Velocity grips in the past and really liked them. Right now I'm still running stock grips on my 06.

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2009 - 02:09 PM

Same Renthal DL half waffle as you used to use. They last much longer since I put full hand guards on.

• buzzgrizz

Posted August 24, 2009 - 03:55 PM

I'm a big fan of the pillow top grips, since I've had them I have had zero arm pump.

• YZ450RDR

Posted August 24, 2009 - 04:22 PM

Tag, Rebound Tech Dual Compound Grip! Great grip highly recommend!!!

• mxmaddman

Posted August 24, 2009 - 04:35 PM

I have become a big fan of the TAG rebound grips. They wear faster than the others but they help with numbness and fatigue after wrist surgery....

Interesting..I fractured my distal radius and have a plate in there and was wondering if something like that might help.

I run waffle grips on my 2 strokes. ...half waffles on the 250f or 450s

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted August 24, 2009 - 04:38 PM

I like Tag rips as well. I really wish all grips are made a little longer, maybe 5 mm longer, why are they all so short??????

• 06crf_er

Posted August 24, 2009 - 04:42 PM

I'm now running my first ever pair of ProGrip grips and they are top notch. I really have liked them, they've held up and I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat.

• Justin89

Posted August 24, 2009 - 05:16 PM

I agree with Pro Grips. I also like Renthal kevlar Grips:thumbsup:

• YamaLink

Posted August 25, 2009 - 05:42 AM

For endurance/24 hour racing, the Renthal dual compounds are a fave. For times I'm not riding in the dark with my tongue hanging out wondering why I'm even on a motorcycle, I like Pro Taper pillow top. Absolutely no idea why the difference in choice. :ride:

• gdbarr1976

Posted August 25, 2009 - 06:59 AM

Back long ago my Honda mr 175 came with grips not much different then what comes stock now. The hot set up back then was some grips that were kind of a triangle. Wish I could remember the name.Could have been oakleys. They worked real good in the mud. Over the years I've tried them all. They all give me blisters and I allways get arm pump. Really curious to see how these pillow tops work since they are really different from what I have been using the last 10 years.

• 642MX

Posted August 25, 2009 - 10:45 AM

I use the cheapest grips I can find. Usually Scotts. Grip with your knees and not your hands. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2009 - 10:59 AM

Grip with your knees and not your hands. :ride:

There's some merit to that, but when you wear knee braces, doing so beats the crap out of your tank graphics and your riding pants.

But whatever you can do, including depending more on your knees if that works for you, to relax your grip a bit will reduce arm pump. Arm pump is caused by a lack of circulation to the arm muscles, caused in turn by keeping the forearm tensed for extended periods, instead of the more natural "flex-relax-flex" kind of cyclic use, and compressing the the blood vessels of the arm. Teach yourself to relax when ever possible, even if only briefly at a time, and it will work wonders for you

• FinchFan194

Posted August 25, 2009 - 12:25 PM

I use the Renthal dual compound tapered grips in soft they really allow a loose grip your hands just stick to them.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted August 25, 2009 - 12:59 PM

I was riding the 24hrs of Glen Helen a few yrs back with some friends of mine. My buddies bike was outfitted with Spider grips. After that I was hooked and have run nothing else since. They added a new model a while back that I like even more than the original called the M1, check them out.
JB
http://www.spidergrips.com/id1.html

• yz007f

Posted August 25, 2009 - 06:06 PM

I loved Renthal Full Diamond Hard Grips! Once I used them a few years back I loved them.. I need to feel the bar I hate having squishy grips between my hand and the bar. You get a real positive feel with these grips!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.