Stock skid plate on '07

6 replies to this topic
  • Wrfrk

Posted August 24, 2009 - 07:00 AM

So I've been wondering just how durable these polimer skid plates are that come on these WR's?

• WR_Dave

Posted August 24, 2009 - 07:58 AM

I have no personal experience with them other than watching the one on my buddies bike fill up with mud and grass. I don't like that it doesn't cover the frame rails all the way back and the opening at the front is just a shovel. You could likely make a small plastic plate to screw,rivet,zipty onto the front opening, but I have seen a severly gouged frame rail in the rocks where we ride and the aftermarket skidplates make me feel better about that. Although they do increase engine noise and I did modify mine to please my own ideas about protection ( of the bike :ride: ) Here is a lengthy thread on the subject with my own skid plate on display. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=475387

WR Dave

• erickdj

Posted August 24, 2009 - 08:54 AM

So I've been wondering just how durable these polimer skid plates are that come on these WR's?

It all depends on where and how you ride. I bought my 07 WR a little over two years ago and have put MANY miles/hours of use into it, still has the stock skid plate. It has the expected scratch marks, but no cracks at all. I ride in a wide variety of terrain, some with quite a few rocks, but I've been ok with the stock unit. Unless you're going to ride in a place like this all the time:http://www.thumperta...657#post8491657 I'd question the benefit on an aluminum plate, but that's just my opinion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wrfrk

Posted August 24, 2009 - 09:01 AM

It all depends on where and how you ride. I bought my 07 WR a little over two years ago and have put MANY miles/hours of use into it, still has the stock skid plate. It has the expected scratch marks, but no cracks at all. I ride in a wide variety of terrain, some with quite a few rocks, but I've been ok with the stock unit. Unless you're going to ride in a place like this all the time:http://www.thumperta...657#post8491657 I'd question the benefit on an aluminum plate, but that's just my opinion.

Ya I'm sure I will be running stuff like that as well as Moab which is all rock. Just was not sure how well these plastic units held up. For mud riding I could always just stuff foam down into the spaces that could collect the mud.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 24, 2009 - 09:08 AM

+1
I think it's a great skid plate and is plenty durable and quiet. I stayed with the stock plastic plate on my 650R for the same reasons and never had a problem. Do not know about this "opening at the front" as stated above. If he is referring to the space between the top of the plate and where the downtube splits, but then this is typical of most skid plates. You have decide what is more important, protection from mud or a little airflow. I would prefer a plastic plate like the stocker, but with a little more protection around the waterpump area. The rest of it is fine.

• WR_Dave

Posted August 24, 2009 - 03:10 PM

+1
You have decide what is more important, protection from mud or a little airflow. I would prefer a plastic plate like the stocker, but with a little more protection around the waterpump area. The rest of it is fine.

With a water cooled engine airflow is negligable at best, unless it is to the radiators, and our ride areas are jagged rocks that will tear off brake calipers, water pumps and destroy engine cases and frame rails. So protect the bike for the areas you ride in. Just offering up some experience for my area, yours may differ. :ride: WR Dave

• tribalbc

Posted August 24, 2009 - 04:08 PM

With a water cooled engine airflow is negligable at best, unless it is to the radiators, and our ride areas are jagged rocks that will tear off brake calipers, water pumps and destroy engine cases and frame rails. So protect the bike for the areas you ride in. Just offering up some experience for my area, yours may differ. :ride: WR Dave

+1
The biggest thing for me is the ignition case and water pump cover protection. I think it was day 1 with my WR that I almost put a hole in my ignition case with a big rock- the gouge was deep but didn't go quite through. I was quickly ordering up a good skid plate then. Even with my full protection I've bent my skid plate into my water pump cover and bent the outlet. I managed to do a silicon fix. Without the skid plate it would have been curtains for that water pump.
I hate the mud scoop too!!!

Here's a pic of a plate with some decent protection

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.