Scotts SUB mount

3 replies to this topic
  • Kasjok

Posted August 23, 2009 - 10:40 PM

Could someone tell if 09 YZ250F needs the same updates SUB mount kit as 08-09 YZ450F?

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2009 - 07:02 AM

Look it up:

http://www.scottsonl.../damperinfo.php

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kasjok

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:14 AM

I finally received my used stabilizer unit. I was told it to be the off-road version meaning it dampens only from center out. It`s hard to tell by hand, but there seems to be some difference when I turn the slow speed nut to fairly hard. I was trying to confirm that by using the part#, but couldn`t find any part#-s from scotts site to compare it to.

Also, it came with the stepped link arm, there seems to be also a straight version. So my question is for what mounting ways is the stepped arm ment and for which is the straight arm?

I am now trying to find a used SUB mount set up for my 08 YZ450F, so if I need a different link arm then I better order it from scotts. And when it came to that, anyone is welcome to offer me their used mounting kit (PM).

By the way, I have asked all these questions from Scotts, but usually it takes them about a week to answer.

Oh, and when I am typing allready, I better ask about servicing the unit.
I am reading the Scotts service manual and all seems rather straight forward, but the fifth step is bugging me. It might be my poor english or lack of imagination, but could some one explain it to me a bit better?

"Remove both bleed hole bolts (bottom of damper diagram # 3). Move the vane all the way to one hole, fill the
damper by injecting oil into the opposite hole forcing air out the other hole at the same time. (diagram # 4).
Scotts offers a tapered tip damper oil bottle for injecting oil, making this operation easier."

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:52 AM

"Remove both bleed hole bolts (bottom of damper diagram # 3). Move the vane all the way to one hole, fill the
damper by injecting oil into the opposite hole forcing air out the other hole at the same time. (diagram # 4).
Scotts offers a tapered tip damper oil bottle for injecting oil, making this operation easier."

Swinging the arm all the way one direction or other allows fluid to flow across the entire width of the unit. Hold the damper at a slight slant with one of the bleed holes at the low point, and the other high. Push oil in through the lower hole until it comes out the upper one.

What works very well for this is any plastic injection syringe with either a bulb or a plunger in it that has a nose small enough to fit the bleed holes. A very small funnel can work, too.

I worked a little variation on this: I picked up two small meat "basting" syringes, made for injecting seasonings under turkey skins while roasting. I removed the plungers and inserted one in each of the two bleed/fill holes. I filled each with oil, then began to slowly move the link arm back and forth. One side would blow bubbles while the other pulled fluid in as I went one way, then as I swung back, this would reverse. Air was pumped out as fluid was drawn in. Exceptionally simple.

Scotts cautions you to leave a little air in the unit to allow for thermal expansion, so once it was totally filled, before replacing the screws, I moved the lever one way just enough to push 2-3 drops out of one side, then plugged it up and installed it. :busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.