removing the speedo drive on a WR 450

10 replies to this topic
  • Boozer502

Posted April 02, 2003 - 06:57 PM

How do you convert a WR front wheel to a YZ ?
I want to remove the speedo drive and convert to a YZ spacer . I have the YZ spacer and seal , but it doesnt look like it will work . the hubs are totally different

• KiwiThumper

Posted April 02, 2003 - 07:28 PM

You need to get an aftermarket WR spacer (I think all the years are the same) the seal is then removed from the speedo housing and refitted to the spacer.
Mine only cost about $10 USD
I dont think you can fit a YZ spacer, as you have stated, the hubs are different.

• MOmilkman

Posted April 03, 2003 - 04:47 AM

Boozer, heres what you need.
Posted Image
Odometer Eliminator 98-01 Yamaha 400/426 WR & 01 WR 250
Code: 21-03
Price: $34.95
www.flatlandracing.com

Although it lists for 400-426's, I would call and check first to see if it fits 450's. He may not have updated his website for the 450's yet. :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 03, 2003 - 05:40 AM

Guys, I've been using one of these on my WR426, I'm not sure if this unit is like the one from the Austrailian company that I have, but does this unit have any type of sealing on it? My old unit didn't protect my bearings and I always found alot of dirt build up inside the bearings. Has anyone found this?

Dan :) Mmmm Beeeeer

• oRGie

Posted April 03, 2003 - 06:16 AM

I know this is a bit cheap, but cheerfull.. my odo was bust, so I removed it and the cable, mashed up the end of the cable to get the retaining nut off, cut out a little round piece of blisterpack plastic and glued it inside the nut and walla, sorted and sealed.. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MOmilkman

Posted April 03, 2003 - 07:03 AM

I'm not sure if this unit is like the one from the Austrailian company that I have, but does this unit have any type of sealing on it? My old unit didn't protect my bearings and I always found alot of dirt build up inside the bearings. Has anyone found this?

This one is sealed. You take the seal off the hub and press it in the inside of the Odo spacer. Wa-la. :)

• KiwiThumper

Posted April 03, 2003 - 10:23 AM

Yep the Ballards one I have is the same. The seal comes off the original speedo unit and you re-fit it to the spacer. This provides a perfect seal so no crud should get in there.
30 odd dollars sounds expensive though .... :)

• MOmilkman

Posted April 03, 2003 - 10:30 AM

30 odd dollars sounds expensive though

Yea, mabye. But what isnt when it comes to our beloved sport? :D

Besides, It looks awfuly trick once its on there. :D

(gawd!, I cant get enoough of these new Graemilins!!) :)

• Jonesy920

Posted April 03, 2003 - 12:45 PM

Although it lists for 400-426's, I would call and check first to see if it fits 450's. He may not have updated his website for the 450's yet.

Called and they are machining one this week. They said they should be available for sale sometime next week. :)

• KiwiThumper

Posted April 03, 2003 - 01:24 PM

This is what the Ballards one looks like

http://www.ballards....ACER YAMAHA.jpg

And this is only $29 Australian (about $15 bucks US)
:)

• MOmilkman

Posted April 03, 2003 - 05:13 PM

Hey, that one looks nice too.

But whats it gonna cost to get it over here? Probably be a wash either way wont it? (I take it Ballards is a Aussie company?)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.