'03 YZ450 Overhearting After Engine Rebuild

10 replies to this topic
  • DZTRDR

Posted August 23, 2009 - 08:47 PM

Today I finally got around to fixing a couple of problems my bike had 6 months ago. During my last trip out with the bike a bolt fall out of my motor and the engine wouldn't start afterward. I torn the engine down and found the piston had scored the cylinder wall. So I replaced the piston and cylinder with OEM parts, and while I was at it I installed Hotcams Intake and Exhaust Cams and a Hinson Clutch Basket. So today I spend the day putting the bike back together and everything went great, however, after letting the bike run for about 20 minutes coolant will start pouring out the drain tube. The bike never did this before installing the cams or other new parts so I would assume the water pump is working like it should and from here I pretty much don't know what else to do. So if anyone can help me with this overheating issue I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks in advance.

Rob

• dustin63933

Posted August 23, 2009 - 09:41 PM

Check your head gasket.

If the water is bubbling and foaming while running and gets worse when you rev it a bit, you have a bad head gasket. If the oil in the motor has water in it or its got a white or light tan color to it, you got a bad head gasket.

• DZTRDR

Posted August 23, 2009 - 09:47 PM

I bought the Athena complete gasket kit for my bike so all my seals and gaskets are brand new but I'll still give it a look. I'm going to change the oil again tomorrow so I'll be able to check the color of the oil too. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2009 - 10:03 PM

... after letting the bike run for about 20 minutes ....

Please tell me you don't mean you let it idle that long. What do you mean by the statement above?

• rufusz

Posted August 24, 2009 - 01:10 AM

Please tell me you don't mean you let it idle that long. What do you mean by the statement above?

Maybe he wanted to cook something on it :ride: :) :lol:
Sorry for the off, but just felt the need to do it :))

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bakeyz426f

Posted August 24, 2009 - 07:28 AM

someone told me that if you let your bike idle for more than five minutes it could blow up because it will over heat because it cant cool properly when no air is being pushed through the radiator. your bikee proboly just overheated causing it to cough up radiator fluid.

• DZTRDR

Posted August 24, 2009 - 07:38 AM

sorry guys, wrong choice of words I suppose. I would start the bike, ride it up and down the street a few times and then come back to the driveway and put it on the stand and let it sit and idle for a bit. Total time being about 20 minutes. I let it sit and idle long enough to loosen the rear axle and tighten the chain and that was enough for the coolant to pour out of the line.

• ZéPovinho

Posted August 24, 2009 - 07:48 AM

seems normal to me...
hapens all the time here when people drives their Yz's on the cities and has to stop on the lightsigns for two minutes
+1 on WR's compesating tanks

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2009 - 08:05 AM

A warmed up YZ450 will blow coolant within 90 seconds or less of idling at a standstill just about every time. You could have your cap tested, but this all sounds normal to me.

• DZTRDR

Posted August 24, 2009 - 08:15 AM

okay thanks guys. I'm going to pull the bike apart again to check the valve lash again. I'll let you know how everything turns out.

• DZTRDR

Posted August 24, 2009 - 02:52 PM

well I just got the bike back together after checking the valve shims again. Everything is running great and the bike isn't overheating now like it was.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.