How hot is too hot?

4 replies to this topic
  • 1genr6

Posted August 23, 2009 - 03:30 PM

I have an 09 yz450f supermoto (street ridden). I have the trailtech vapor, the sensor is installed in the left side (hot side) radiator hose. What is the maximum safe indicated temperature? By the way I am running liquid performance race coolant (260 deg boiling pt).

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2009 - 03:37 PM

255. You want to stay short of a boil, as when the coolant boils, gas bubbles form on the hottest part of the head, and at that point, the head is no longer being cooled.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeepentj

Posted August 23, 2009 - 03:39 PM

I don't know if this will answer your question but I have an '06 with a Vapor on it. I ride in the desert (mostly wide open) but have never had the bike any higher than 190 in the tight stuff. When the trail opens back up it drops down to 145 - 165 (for the most part).

• 1genr6

Posted August 23, 2009 - 04:07 PM

Ok, good. I shut er down at 240 the other day. If I were to get an even higher temperature coolant that doesnt boil over till X degrees, what would be the hottest that the bike could actually handle before it becomes dangerous?

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2009 - 08:11 PM

I would not care to see coolant temperatures much beyond 290 in any case, regardless of the coolant used. The thing that concerns me is the engine oil and its ability to tolerate being that hot, and while the oil takes longer to reach any given temperature than the coolant does, but if the engine runs that hot for any length of time, the oil will get there, too.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.