Noleen Pipe VS FMF Gold Series???? HP??

8 replies to this topic
  • colinburger00

Posted August 21, 2009 - 08:48 AM

I've been searching and searching and searching for answers regarding bike performance, HP #'s etc concerning all mods for my 1997 YZ250?? and found nothing really concrete. I have now found a lot of talk about these Noleen pipes for the 97-98 YZ250 and how they made the bike so FAST? What kind of difference am I going to see from my current pipe (running a FMF gold series fatty)......

Can I get HP numbers on my year of bike stock? where can i find that info, I heard 41HP, can I acheive 50-55 HP out of this bike without a bore job? Can anyone give me info regarding modifications.

• Sheriff245

Posted August 21, 2009 - 09:27 AM

No pipe will give you 10 more hp.

• djmamayek

Posted August 21, 2009 - 09:42 AM

50-55 HP will require extensive modifications, and a custom pipe to match the port/squish work. If you actually managed to get that kind of power out of the bike, you would likely not be able to use it, because it would almost certainly result in a powerband with no bottom end, big midrange, and massive top end (national pro type power).

Horsepower numbers have never really held a whole lot of sway in motocross bikes, because the amount of peak power is of little importance. What matters is where in the powerband the bike makes good power, and how that relates to how you ride. For instance, I am 26 years old, and not as fast as I was when I was 16, or in as good of shape... So I like the fact that my 09 YZ250 makes good bottom end power, that transitions smoothly into a stout midrange, and I don't really mind that the bike signs off a bit early, because if it kept pulling I wouldn't be able to hold on or use that power anyway!

If I were you, I would place more importance on amplifying what is already good about the bike. Or adjusting the powerband to better suit your skills and riding style.

If you want big power, sell your 12 year old 250 and buy a newer CR or KX 500.

• djmamayek

Posted August 21, 2009 - 09:49 AM

Not to mention that a 50+ horsepower 250cc motocross bike is going to be a maintenance nightmare.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted August 21, 2009 - 04:08 PM

I agree no pipe will give you ten hp. Also, getting a 250 to the 55 hp mark is possible, but expensive.

Back to your 97...that bike is a different sort of bike to mod. The stock bike is in a pretty low state of tune. Nothing like a stock 2009. The 97 never pings and will run on any sort of gas you can find. Thats not really the case on the new bike.

So, if you start doing mods, expect a bunch of that likable nature to go away.

The Noleen pipe might be an exception. I bought a wall-full of pipes hoping for something that worked half as well as the noleen on my 97 and never found the solution. Also, on the 97, I tried fmf and pro circuit, spes, doma, and some other goofy brand. None did much, if anything.

Back in 97 Noleen Racing built some very fast yz 250's. For a year or two their bikes were better than what factory Yamaha had. Their pipe worked incredibly well. Not a lot changed in the low end, but the noleen pulls in the midrange much better than anything else. It also gives a nice upper end hit. The other pipes run smooth and need porting to go with them.

I will just throw some figures out, based on feel. I have no proof of any of these numbers, but here goes.

They say a Pro Circuit pipe will give a modern yz 250 an extra 2hp. Not across the board, but at peak. I tend to believe this as they do run differently. Based on the changes to my yz 250, I would say a Noleen wont give your 97 10 hp, but 5 may not be unrealistic. Part of the reason it does so well is the other pipes do so little.

Dont start throwing parts at the bike until everything else is perfect. Hopping up a 250 with 40 hours on the top end is not a great idea. Neither is adding hp to a bike with blown out suspension.

If I still had my 97 there would be no more Noleen pieps on ebay, I promise that.

• HollywoodMX

Posted August 21, 2009 - 05:03 PM

Not to mention that a 50+ horsepower 250cc motocross bike is going to be a maintenance nightmare.

Mmmm, I dont think so, over 55 yes but from stock to low 50's I think will be fine and easily achieved with the right mods. The TM300 makes like 54+hp stock. It runs a single ring piston, has hand porting, aggresive compression, and HGS pipe. Most complaints are about the suspension, not the engine, aside from the engine being too aggressive.:thumbsup:

I think Eric Gorr can get a YZ close to TM300 power with only moderate effort. BB, porting, carb work, head work etc..

• HollywoodMX

Posted August 21, 2009 - 05:10 PM

I would say a Noleen wont give your 97 10 hp, but 5 may not be unrealistic. Part of the reason it does so well is the other pipes do so little.

If I still had my 97 there would be no more Noleen pieps on ebay, I promise that.

The weird thing with the noleen pipes are that they look like biggest POS pipe one has seen, but seem to perform so well.

• RCannon

Posted August 21, 2009 - 05:18 PM

The weird thing with the noleen pipes are that they look like biggest POS pipe one has seen, but seem to perform so well.

For sure! Not pretty at all to look at, but they worked very well.

• RCannon

Posted August 22, 2009 - 01:02 PM

Its fine to talk about mods, but lets be honest and real for a minute. Your 97 yz still has much more hp and torque than a 2010 250f. We can claim its not as good as a modern yz 250, which is true, but the motor really wont hold you back much, if any. Keep that in mind when deciding what to spend your money on.

If I were building a 97 on a budget, the first mod it needs is having the forks revalved. They are horrible in stock form. The 200-300 you'll spend on that will turn it into a different bike and you will love the change. If you spend some time on the suspension forum on TT, you may even be able to do this yourself and save some money.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ250 Fuel Knock? by RussTheRush

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  51 replies
Forums
Photo

My Official LECTRON Carb REVIEW - Two Stroke Use Case - 2002 CR250 by kawi008

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 YZ125 "intro" by Racer X by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

85 2 stroke or 150R by Bill_B

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

Strait to a 250 2t? by tombom

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.