Dual Sport - Stator upgrade?

7 replies to this topic
  • n19dg2

Posted August 21, 2009 - 04:38 AM

If I install led signals (front and rear), hi / lo beam switch, horn, and brake switches, will I need to upgrade my stator (this is an 09 WR450F)?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 21, 2009 - 05:04 AM

If I install led signals (front and rear), hi / lo beam switch, horn, and brake switches, will I need to upgrade my stator (this is an 09 WR450F)?

IF that is all your doing then NO.

But if your state law requires the head light to be while the bike is off then YES

• yrun

Posted August 21, 2009 - 06:25 AM

IF that is all your doing then NO.

But if your state law requires the head light to be while the bike is off then YES

not to sound ignorant, but why would they require the light to be "on" when the engine is "off"

Thanks,

Joe

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 21, 2009 - 06:53 AM

not to sound ignorant, but why would they require the light to be "on" when the engine is "off"

In CA, the logic is if your riding on the road at night and you stall, they want your lights to still be "ON" so that way other drivers can see you.

The way the WR is setup stock, as soon as the engine stops, the head light turns off. The only way to change this is to rewire it so that it runs directly off the battery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yrun

Posted August 21, 2009 - 09:45 AM

In CA, the logic is if your riding on the road at night and you stall, they want your lights to still be "ON" so that way other drivers can see you.

The way the WR is setup stock, as soon as the engine stops, the head light turns off. The only way to change this is to rewire it so that it runs directly off the battery.

makes sense I reckon....I just called the state police inspector in my area and it is not required.

thanks,

joe

PS-I still have not pulled the triger on the bike yet:smirk:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 21, 2009 - 10:52 AM

PS-I still have not pulled the triger on the bike yet:smirk:

When you do, you wont be disappointed :thumbsup:

• thatraptorguy

Posted August 24, 2009 - 01:33 PM

how much is the stock stator good for???and how much are aftermarket ones...i plan on doing the HID upgrade kit from ebay which includes ballast and all to my 07 wr450 if the stock headlight isnt that bright

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 24, 2009 - 01:56 PM

how much is the stock stator good for???and how much are aftermarket ones...i plan on doing the HID upgrade kit from ebay which includes ballast and all to my 07 wr450 if the stock headlight isnt that bright

If you want to run a dual sport kit and one HID only then you will be fine with the stock stator (assuming you float the ground and install a Baja Designs reg/rec)

Anything else and you should be looking to upgrade to a higher output stator

See this thread for more info on stators and what they can run: http://www.thumperta...110#post8379110

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.