picking up a 2007 wr450 here soon

14 replies to this topic
  • thatraptorguy

Posted August 20, 2009 - 07:47 PM

im going to pick up a 2007 wr450f as i know it in a couple weeks and want to know if there is anything in aprticular that i should be looking for for problems...is there any common problems with these things or not??here is the pictures of it tell me what you think about it and let me know if you see something wrong with the bike
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• AFJ7732W

Posted August 21, 2009 - 09:07 AM

Impossible for us to tell just by looking at cell phone photos.

The counter sprocket guard is gone. The petcock is in the reserve position, I think. You have to shut that thing off if the bike is going to set for very long at all. If you don't the bike is a pain to get started.

Looks like a lot of honest use to me. I wonder why he took off the factory graphics, but left the stupid warning stickers on the back fender. The chain looks good. That's always a good sign.

The pea shooter is still in there. Has it been uncorked?

• thatraptorguy

Posted August 21, 2009 - 08:20 PM

well he said it comes with a full pro circuit t4 exhuast thats not on it now....but not sure if it ever was....and it has a new fuel screw thats all i know of motor wise.....can you give me a decent guess at how many hours are on the bike???i mean its got quite a few scratches on the shifter side cases which means quite a few to me....and how often do these need rebuilt??

• tribalbc

Posted August 22, 2009 - 07:08 AM

I would say from the wear on the cases that it has at least 3000 miles on it.
How much more who knows.
The motors are famous for there longetivity but that of course depends on how hard it was ridden and how well it was maintained.
Here's a good start to see how he maintained it. Ask him when the last time he changed the fork oil was. If he's got a quick straight answer that was fairly recent then you know everything was probably well maintained.

• thatraptorguy

Posted August 22, 2009 - 12:43 PM

alright thanks for your help....i asked him why the cases were so scratched and he said because his boots got metal toes on them but still my boots have that and my raptor has zippo scratches on the case

• rkwfxd1

Posted August 22, 2009 - 03:21 PM

I am guessing the graphics are gone because they were toast and it looks better with out them. Personally, I have a 10 y/o XR250 that I think is in better cosmetic shape than that bike.

• thatraptorguy

Posted August 22, 2009 - 03:43 PM

what do you guys think a bike like this is worth???and i also plan on compression testing it when i go look at it....anybody know what there supposed to test at??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted August 22, 2009 - 08:28 PM

Compression tests don't really work on 4 stroke bikes, you need to do a leakdown test.

Can't tell you what it's worth, one because I can't see, feel, hear it for myself. And two, Canadian values are skewed.

• thatraptorguy

Posted August 23, 2009 - 11:40 AM

Compression tests don't really work on 4 stroke bikes, you need to do a leakdown test.

Can't tell you what it's worth, one because I can't see, feel, hear it for myself. And two, Canadian values are skewed.

hmmmm.....is there any other way to tell if the motor is healthy other than the obvious???i may actually be able to do a leakdown test since my friends truck were taking has a air compressor on it...whats the main points to listen for while doing a leakdown test on one of these??

• tribalbc

Posted August 23, 2009 - 04:24 PM

Here read through this

http://www.thumperta...=leak down test

If the bike starts in 1-3 kicks hot and cold, runs and sounds good then you probably have nothing to worry about.
Look at how clean the oil, air filter is, though you would think that people would clean them before sale, you'd be surprised.
See if he has regularly regreased the linkage and steering head, those are known issues on these bikes.
Also check after the bike has just run for a few minutes for a little coolant coming out a weep hole at the bottm of the waterpump. This means the impeller shaft and seal has gone and probably indicates fairly high mileage. Mine went at about 5000 miles.

• thatraptorguy

Posted August 23, 2009 - 04:43 PM

Here read through this

http://www.thumperta...=leak down test

If the bike starts in 1-3 kicks hot and cold, runs and sounds good then you probably have nothing to worry about.
Look at how clean the oil, air filter is, though you would think that people would clean them before sale, you'd be surprised.
See if he has regularly regreased the linkage and steering head, those are known issues on these bikes.
Also check after the bike has just run for a few minutes for a little coolant coming out a weep hole at the bottm of the waterpump. This means the impeller shaft and seal has gone and probably indicates fairly high mileage. Mine went at about 5000 miles.

its saying to make sure the bikes at TDC before i can do the leakdown....how can i make sure the bikes at TDC i mean this is going to be at a truck stop where im test riding it

• tribalbc

Posted August 23, 2009 - 04:52 PM

Two caps on the ignition case. Slot screwdriver to open.
Large one is to turn the flywheel. Small one is the sight.
Turn counter clockwise with a socket ( can't remember what size )
There will be a H and an I mark. Line up with the I

• tribalbc

Posted August 23, 2009 - 04:57 PM

Ask him if he checks his valves regularly. If so he should have no problem finding TDC :ride:

• thatraptorguy

Posted August 23, 2009 - 06:17 PM

alright....do you think he will will get mad about the test??i guess if he does that means he has something to hide

• thatraptorguy

Posted August 30, 2009 - 06:37 PM

anybody know how good the full pro circuit t4 pipe is on these and how loud they are??not sure if its been re jetted properly or not because the stock exhaust is on it and it just comes with the t4

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.