Yz500f jetting help

6 replies to this topic
  • Lumberjack

Posted August 20, 2009 - 06:26 AM

My bike (2007 YZ450f) has a stroker crank and big bore kit that bring it up to 500cc and other mods include a full hindle exhaust and a hot cams intake cam. What jetting changes do you guys think need to be made over stock? I am going to be breaking in the bike this weekend before bringing it to the dyno to get it properly tuned and just wanted to make sure that I have somewhat decent jetting while I break it in. I don't really have any jetting experience, so I need help.

Also, before my bike blew up it had a really bad bog when I wicked the throttle wide open at low RPM, it would basically stall the bike, what do I need to do to fix this as well?

• grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2009 - 08:47 AM

In general, an increase in displacement, and especially an increase in stroke, with the same carb as the original engine, will increase the strength of the vacuum signal over the discharge ports in the carb. That increases the pressure with which fuel is brought through the jets and into the airstream, and can cause the overall jetting to be slightly, sometimes significantly, richer than it originally was. As long as the engine isn't so rich as to wash oil out of the cylinder (really pretty damn rich), you'll most likely be OK.

Remember when breaking in the engine not to baby it. Run it in a fairly normal manner, about 80-90% as hard as it will, and avoid the lower 30% and the top 15% of the rev range. Break in should take no more than an hour.

• Lumberjack

Posted August 20, 2009 - 10:01 AM

Thanks Grayracer, you are the man for knowledge on Thumpertalk eh. Currently, my bike has a 160 main and I am at roughly see level, so I would assume that it would be a little lean, so to be safe I might go to a 168 or 170 for break in and then see what the dyno says for my air/fuel ratio. Do you agree? and thanks for your help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2009 - 10:43 AM

Currently, my bike has a 160 main and I am at roughly see level, so I would assume that it would be a little lean, so to be safe I might go to a 168 or 170 for break in and then see what the dyno says for my air/fuel ratio. Do you agree?

No. leave it like that and see how it acts. At the most, go to a 165.

• Lumberjack

Posted August 20, 2009 - 10:51 AM

Do you know what the ideal air/fuel ratio should be for a motocross bike? I have been hearing 12 to 1 and 13 to 1. What do you think?

• grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2009 - 11:27 AM

It depends a little on the fuel used, but with normal gasoline (whatever that is these days), chemically equivalent to a straight octane/heptane blend, stoichiometeric AF ratio (where there is exactly enough oxygen for the fuel present) is 14.7:1. With such a fuel, maximum power, not economy or efficiency, is achieved at an AFR ranging from 12.5 - 13.3:1.

Oxygenated fuels, or fuels with a low energy content because of inert additives, will need to be a little richer, in the former case, in order to compensate for the addition oxygen released into the reaction.

• newton824

Posted July 22, 2014 - 05:53 PM

have you finished the project bike? im about to do the exact same thing to my 08 yz450f and i was wondering what you thought of your bike once it was all said and done and if its worth it. 

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.