Rekluse/Oil question

7 replies to this topic
  • crf450rider64

Posted August 20, 2009 - 04:14 AM

I tried to search this question. There are many!! posts about oil etc but I didnt find any specfic answers about the internal engine side effects. I apoligize if its a " Dead Horse " lol......I have an 09 YZf450. I just ordered a Rekluse clutch to run. The Rekluse people recommend the Rotella T. Any bad effects or opinions/experence etc with running this type of oil with internal engine?

• jeffboyd47m

Posted August 20, 2009 - 08:23 AM

I installed a Rekluse Pro in my 07 when it was brand new. I always use a hour meter on all of my bikes. I put 83 hrs on my 07 using synthetic oil and changing it every 6 hrs. I installed the same clutch onto my new 08 and ran it for 108hrs with the same routine of service and synthetic oil. Then I bought another 08 and installed the same clutch on that bike. I ran it 93hrs, same routine.
During all of that time I never had to adjust the clutch and never replaced any plates. I race constantly doing everything from ISDE qualifiers, moto-x to National Hare and Hounds. I recently sold the clutch with almost 280hrs on it for almost what I paid for it and bought the new Core EXP clutch for my 09. I have nearly 20hrs on that bike still using synthetic oil.
I don't understand why Rekluse insists on Rotella, but from my experience it is not needed. I always use Maxima synthetic oil.
JB

• crf450rider64

Posted August 21, 2009 - 12:17 PM

I installed a Rekluse Pro in my 07 when it was brand new. I always use a hour meter on all of my bikes. I put 83 hrs on my 07 using synthetic oil and changing it every 6 hrs. I installed the same clutch onto my new 08 and ran it for 108hrs with the same routine of service and synthetic oil. Then I bought another 08 and installed the same clutch on that bike. I ran it 93hrs, same routine.
During all of that time I never had to adjust the clutch and never replaced any plates. I race constantly doing everything from ISDE qualifiers, moto-x to National Hare and Hounds. I recently sold the clutch with almost 280hrs on it for almost what I paid for it and bought the new Core EXP clutch for my 09. I have nearly 20hrs on that bike still using synthetic oil.
I don't understand why Rekluse insists on Rotella, but from my experience it is not needed. I always use Maxima synthetic oil.
JB

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the info............. This Forum is a great help. I am glad I ran accross it.

• DBMX 925

Posted August 21, 2009 - 12:42 PM

Why not pay half the price for oil if it does the same job?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2009 - 01:06 PM

If you are referring to paying half the price for Rotella vs. Maxima, the answer is actually that it doesn't really do the same job, at least, not for as long a time. Rotella looses its viscosity to shear in the transmission very rapidly. It's good while it lasts, it just doesn't last. So when you pay half as much but have to change it twice as often, it doesn't pencil out well.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted August 21, 2009 - 02:07 PM

I do a lot of endurance type events. For example, at the Idaho City ISDE qualifier I can spend anywhere from 5-8 hrs on the bike in just 1 day. I always ride both days and can change the oil at the end of the 1st day. Using Rotella I would have to stop and change oil during the day and that just won't work for me. Even a desert race can vary from 2-6 hrs. depending on the course. If my bike has 4.5 hrs on an oil change and I have a desert race to do I will go ahead and change it. If I have a moto-x to do I would probably wait until I had 6 hrs on it. Plus synthetic gives me a small cushion if I find myself running longer than 6 hrs.
Bottom line is that even if it costs more, it is worth it to me.
JB

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2009 - 02:17 PM

I do a lot of endurance type events. .... synthetic gives me a small cushion if I find myself running longer than 6 hrs.

Your reasons for selecting an oil as durable as Maxima are correct and valid, but it's not the fact that it's synthetic that gives you that edge. Rotella Synthetic, as well as a very large number of other high quality oils, particularly automotive engine oils, also lack the ability to resist viscosity loss when used as a transmission lube. Synthetics do have advantages in resisting thermal degradation, and some other things, but the viscosity loss happens so rapidly that these other attributes never have time to matter.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted August 21, 2009 - 08:12 PM

Those are good points, thanks gray!
JB

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.