• aruggiero

Posted August 19, 2009 - 11:34 PM

My bike at idle makes a ticking noise
I think its the AIS ?
anybody have the same problem:bonk:

• truebluedrz

Posted August 20, 2009 - 03:55 AM

c'mon fellas,
mine has just started to make a ticking noise too, noticed it last ride, interested in opinions.

• WR_Dave

Posted August 20, 2009 - 05:05 AM

If you think the ticking is the AIS valve, then just plug the vacuum line and see if it stops, maybe you have an exhaust leak, need a vlave adjustment or a bomb like in the cartoons is under your tank :thumbsup: , not much to go on here guy's --- WR Dave

• ww44wrf450f

Posted August 20, 2009 - 10:02 AM

If you think the ticking is the AIS valve, then just plug the vacuum line and see if it stops, maybe you have an exhaust leak, need a vlave adjustment or a bomb like in the cartoons is under your tank :thumbsup: , not much to go on here guy's --- WR Dave

Maybe video us the sound on youtube??

• truebluedrz

Posted August 20, 2009 - 09:02 PM

well i didnt want to hijack the thread, but, mine's not ais caus we dont have it in aus.

mine is a high pitched tick coming from the topend on the RHS, has got me fooled :thumbsup:

• WR_Dave

Posted August 21, 2009 - 05:20 AM

well i didnt want to hijack the thread, but, mine's not ais caus we dont have it in aus.

mine is a high pitched tick coming from the topend on the RHS, has got me fooled :thumbsup:

Have you checked the valve clearances?? :worthy: WR Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WRob

Posted August 25, 2009 - 09:40 AM

Do you have an aftermarket skid plate on the bike? After installing a larger skid plate on mine, the engine noise increased considerably. Wr's are known for engine "noise" as it is. With the skid plate, it resonates big time.

• bennyrock

Posted August 26, 2009 - 12:26 PM

Mine has been always a little noisy, but lately, when I'm riding uphill, makes much more noise, so I checked with a wrench moving the cranckcase holding the rotor bolt and... seems it has some clearence, so it has to be the con rod. I'm relly scared, because I'd rather not open the full engine.
The Bike is a 2006 wr, with low km (Milage), I've been checking valve clearence, but is in the limit, timing chain as well, no smoke, changing oil every 2 months, by the way always checking the oil level, but it never needs to be add.
Does anybody know if wr have conrod problems?
By the way hope you understand and excuse my poor english.
Saludos from Spain.

• aruggiero

Posted September 02, 2009 - 09:33 AM

The bike only has 100 miles?
I put the ais back on because we love CA

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 02, 2009 - 09:48 AM

Every WR I've owned makes a ticking noise at a certain RPM... just above idle. I can confirm it's there when the valve clearances are spot on too...

I cannot guarantee there is nothing wrong these 08's but my advice would be to check valve clearances and then get used to it:smirk:

• MT-01

Posted September 02, 2009 - 11:46 PM

I agree that alloy skidplates amplify the engine noise dramatically. Put some race foam between the skidplate and the engine and the excess noise will dissapear :)

I have seen an issue with 07 waterpumps failing. Basically the water pump shaft has a D shaped end, LIKE.....(_) It fits into a slot and gets direct drive. The shaft has a small amount of play and can be moved forward and back by hand when turning the Blades of the waterpump. Some pumps have had so much freeplay in them that they have eventually worn the end of the shaft and begun to spin in the drive slot.

The easist way to check is to pull the waterpump cover off and turn the pump. No more than about 45 degrees freeplay or its stuffed. I have seen one pump turning more than 90 degrees and one completely fail.

I also experienced a ticking noise when riding a few weeks ago.........but it was because a branch had ripped a radiator hose off and the bike was bone dry :) :lol: :ride:

Pat

• aruggiero

Posted January 19, 2010 - 10:56 PM

Just adjusted valves
a little tight after 500 miles trail riding
noise is just there not harming anything
I guess ???????

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.