how do I remove rotor bolts?

12 replies to this topic
  • pablo83

Posted August 19, 2009 - 07:51 PM

I've owned 2 YZ400's and 2 WR's. I've been able to remove the front rotor on two of the 4 bikes. On the other two I striped the allen head bolts and could not remove the rotor because of it.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to safely remove these without stripping them?

Also, can you tell me how to remove them after they are stripped? Please don't tell me to use an easy-out. They always break on my and then I'm more screwed than when I started.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 19, 2009 - 08:34 PM

You need an impact wrench.

If strip the bolt head, you have to notch it with a dremel, and use a very large flat head bit and an impact wrench.

• paul_roca

Posted August 20, 2009 - 12:38 AM

use a star drive which is slightly bigger than the allen key bolt and bang it on with a hammer, works 100% of the time for me.

• ncampion

Posted August 20, 2009 - 06:23 AM

The factory puts locking fluid on the threads, try a little heat before you unscrew them.

• nitronaf

Posted August 20, 2009 - 06:41 AM

+1 for using torx bits to unstuck things!

• pablo83

Posted August 20, 2009 - 08:05 AM

use a star drive which is slightly bigger than the allen key bolt and bang it on with a hammer, works 100% of the time for me.

This sounds like a good way to ruin a torx bit. But it also sounds like it will work. I'll give it a try. The heat and dremel ideas are good too. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • paul_roca

Posted August 20, 2009 - 11:12 PM

i had the same problem with both my r1s when i wanted to change to waveys. Got about 12 rounded bolts out for every torx bit i broke.

• schrode

Posted August 20, 2009 - 11:29 PM

only use the allen/torx wrenches to hold the bolts. use a wrench on the nut on the back to do the real work. worse case scenario you drill the heads off the bolts and the stud/nut falls out the back once the rotors off.

• paul_roca

Posted August 20, 2009 - 11:56 PM

i forgot that they have the nuts on the back my r1s have thread on the wheels. I agree try to do most of the work with the nut. Although if you drill the heads of i dont think they will fall through the back as some will have spokes in the way.

• schrode

Posted August 21, 2009 - 12:13 AM

i forgot that they have the nuts on the back my r1s have thread on the wheels. I agree try to do most of the work with the nut. Although if you drill the heads of i dont think they will fall through the back as some will have spokes in the way.

they'll come out if you drill the heads. i just did this to a wheel i bought off craigslist that had corroded hardware.

• wr450mazz

Posted August 21, 2009 - 03:06 AM

A heat gun is the go on loctited threads

• pablo83

Posted August 21, 2009 - 07:46 AM

only use the allen/torx wrenches to hold the bolts. use a wrench on the nut on the back to do the real work. worse case scenario you drill the heads off the bolts and the stud/nut falls out the back once the rotors off.

Just for clarification, the WR has threads in the hub, no bolts on the back.

• schrode

Posted August 21, 2009 - 09:26 AM

Just for clarification, the WR has threads in the hub, no bolts on the back.

my bad

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.