Setting my YZ450F 2003 for Trails - Set Up Question

16 replies to this topic
  • Jibba

Posted August 19, 2009 - 06:03 AM

Guys,

So far I have installed a full lighting kit, trailtech heavier flywheel.

My next thing is the rear sprocket and chain.

My question is, the more teeth on the rear the better for trails\bush? I am very confused??

What are your setups out there?

I was looking at getting a GYTR Gold Rear Sprocket\JT Steel with 51T or 52T?

Also, what type of chain would suit best, o ring or x ring?

• WB450

Posted August 19, 2009 - 07:33 AM

I went up 2 teeth in the rear on my 07. I wanted to trade a little lower gearing for some top speed.
I ride tight single track most of the time.

• locorider

Posted August 19, 2009 - 09:23 AM

On my 2004 I went one down in front and to a 52 on the rear.

It works great but it is going to wear the rear chain guard block down pretty quickly due to the size of the rear. The roundings on the chain went flat within 5 hours.

I went with O-Ring, but I have not heard any bad things about X-Ring.

I don't have a heavier flywheel and have only stalled twice in the past year. All depends on your riding style.

I currently have about a 38-42 mile range, stock tank, so if you are looking at anything with gas stops further apart you might want to consider a larger tank. I have not ridden any race that I couldn't make it to the end or gas stop. If not, you might want to look into a WR stopcock, since the YZ doesn't have the "reserve" concept. When it stops it is done.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 19, 2009 - 12:51 PM

I went up 2 teeth in the rear on my 07. I wanted to trade a little lower gearing for some top speed.
I ride tight single track most of the time.

Hows it working for you? I just swapped a 12t up front to see how I like it... I was stock before and the gearing is WAY too high.

• YamaLink

Posted August 19, 2009 - 06:37 PM

I'm kind of a frugal type when it comes to gearing so I always go for the cheaper countershaft sprocket. One tooth down. Steel. Almost each time it works perfectly for gearing especially on a 450, but once in a great while I find myself "between gears" on rides that don't have the YZ450F's ambundant power so that's when I'll go 2 or 3 on the rear (always do aluminum in rear even though it costs more...I'm frugal but a weight weenie sometimes, ha). But for your 2003 Yamaha I'd go 1 tooth. And stick an o-ring on.

• SparksXR426

Posted August 19, 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hows it working for you? I just swapped a 12t up front to see how I like it... I was stock before and the gearing is WAY too high.

Went to a 53 in the rear on my 08 and as tight as some of the riding is up here I wouldnt go any lower. WR gearbox would be ideal but I dont really dont think it would be worth the effort, put in a heavier flywheel and clutch it!

• cowboyona426

Posted August 20, 2009 - 06:25 AM

Went to a 53 in the rear on my 08 and as tight as some of the riding is up here I wouldnt go any lower. WR gearbox would be ideal but I dont really dont think it would be worth the effort, put in a heavier flywheel and clutch it!

Excellent, thanks! I have the GYT-R heavy off-road flywheel already installed. Sounds like my gearing should be dang close now.

• WB450

Posted August 20, 2009 - 08:36 AM

It seem to work pretty good. I also put in the heavy GYTR FW and really like this combo.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jibba

Posted August 20, 2009 - 07:30 PM

OK, I just purchaseds a JT 51T rear sprocket.

What chain would best suit trails? I know the pitch is 520, but does anyone know how many links? Make\Model\Part Number?

I buy most of my stuff from North America, as it is much cheaper then down here in Australia.

I already have the heavier FW installed and it did make a huge difference. Just really want my bike set-up %100 for trails, or as close as I can get. Will post soem pics soon to. Trick looking 2003. Fresh rebuild only 4 hours ago, all OEM internals.

• TD-3

Posted August 21, 2009 - 03:23 AM

I ran my old 03 with stock gearing for the trail, but I was running a Rekluse clutch which made the most difference for off roading the YZ.

• Jibba

Posted August 23, 2009 - 06:49 PM

Guys, received my JT Rear 51T sprocket.

I would like to install it this week as we are heading to the bush.

What chain should I purchase? I am looking at the to types below, but I am confused about the links.

DID ROLLER CHAIN 520 X 114 (links)
EK 520-114 O-Ring

114 is stock length correct? How many links should I go?

• mjw1

Posted August 23, 2009 - 07:45 PM

I would run the renthal gold o-ring chain. I have used the d.i.d and got pretty good wear out of it but the renthal is a better chain and seems to last better with steel sprockets i get about 4 seasons a chain with the renthal and about 3 with the d.i.d

• Jibba

Posted August 23, 2009 - 08:00 PM

Thanks, but how many links would I need with my setup? 114 or 120?

• mjw1

Posted August 23, 2009 - 08:08 PM

I use the stock lenth chain on mine with a 50t sprocket so the 114 probably should work but you can go with the 120 link and cut off what you don't need to be safe.

• Jibba

Posted August 23, 2009 - 11:40 PM

How is the Renthal 520 R1 Works Chain? Is this the one you use?

Also, do YZ450F's have the same issue the CRF450 have with Chain clearance??

• cowboyona426

Posted August 24, 2009 - 07:49 AM

How is the Renthal 520 R1 Works Chain? Is this the one you use?

Also, do YZ450F's have the same issue the CRF450 have with Chain clearance??

No issues with chain clearance. I like RK X-ring chains myself. I always err on the side of caution with chains- order long and cut it down as needed.

• yz_for_me

Posted August 24, 2009 - 09:49 AM

I ran 52/13 on my '03. It was still a bit tall for really gnarly stuff, but I also ran a Rekluse and a GYTR 8oz flywheel, so it didn't matter too much.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.