Tires??

I've read alot on tire selection on here, but have not noticed alot said about the Bridgestone 403/404 combo. I ride in Ohio, and the tracks start off freshly tilled, loose, rutted and fun. Then the quads normally turn it into a hard, slick, bluegroove track and the frontend on my new Yammie isn't holding as good as I'd like (I know, welcome to Yamaha). I can get a great deal on these tires, but just checking if anyone has ran them and how did you like them?

I've read alot on tire selection on here, but have not noticed alot said about the Bridgestone 403/404 combo. I ride in Ohio, and the tracks start off freshly tilled, loose, rutted and fun. Then the quads normally turn it into a hard, slick, bluegroove track and the frontend on my new Yammie isn't holding as good as I'd like (I know, welcome to Yamaha). I can get a great deal on these tires, but just checking if anyone has ran them and how did you like them?

I like them and I ride in the desert of Southern Utah which is about as varied in terrain as any place. About the onle thing we don't get is soil that provides good traction. They also seem to wear quite well.

If you can get a good deal on them I would certainly give them a try. Even if they're not your favorite tire I can guarantee they won't be the worst tire you've had.

I just took off my M403/404 combo and replaced it with the geomax mx51, but have not yet ridden it since. I felt that under ideal intermediate conditions, or even slightly hardpack the m403 front was great...but if the track was slightly watered the front would be horrible. as for the m404 rear tire it hooked up for sure in the straights, I mean my mostly stock 450 would be pulling the front up in 3rd gear going down a hill. as for in the turns, i didnt feel very confident in the m404 rear... it was kind of sketchy in the turns. i figured it was since i had just come off a 250f, and that the 450s naturally would be breaking loose more often... but i was wrong. I rode my friends 450 with michelin starcross tires and that was more manageable at lean angles, which made me realize it was time to lose the m403/404 combo and see what other tires are available. I was pretty set on the starcross tires, but the dunlop geomax mx51 seem to be getting great reviews so i figured i would give them a shot.

bottom line is that the m403/m404 combo is great for strictly intermediate terrain (which it was designed for)... but if you are like me and ride in different terrains and cant afford to change tires from race to race, and really need a tire which is much more versatile, you should consider the starcross or geomax.

the 403/404 combo is my what im currently running.. last 3 sets have been this.. ride so-cal tracks so we have a mixture of them all.. i can go from a pure sand track to a hardpack track and feel confident in the way the bike is going to handle..

killer wear and the hook up is great..

has anyone taken a close look at the mx51? its almost identical to the 404....

the 403/404 combo is my what im currently running.. last 3 sets have been this.. ride so-cal tracks so we have a mixture of them all.. i can go from a pure sand track to a hardpack track and feel confident in the way the bike is going to handle..

killer wear and the hook up is great..

has anyone taken a close look at the mx51? its almost identical to the 404....

The 403/404 combo is a great intermediate tire match. Wear is excellent and they work quite well. Can't go wrong here, especially if you can purchase them for a decent price.

As for the MX51 being identical to a 404, that's funny, I said the same thing, but the ride is quite a bit different. The 51 wears as well if not better than the 404 and the lean angle characteristics are far better in comparison to the 404. I only run 51 120's now, but again, the 403/404 is a great match, in fact I have the 403/90 on my bike at a moment. Find a good price and go buy whatever tire is most cost effective.

The 403/404 combo is a great intermediate tire match. Wear is excellent and they work quite well. Can't go wrong here, especially if you can purchase them for a decent price.

As for the MX51 being identical to a 404, that's funny, I said the same thing, but the ride is quite a bit different. The 51 wears as well if not better than the 404 and the lean angle characteristics are far better in comparison to the 404. I only run 51 120's now, but again, the 403/404 is a great match, in fact I have the 403/90 on my bike at a moment. Find a good price and go buy whatever tire is most cost effective.

exactly what i did.. the 403/404 suited my budget and my style the best.. the 51 is a killer tire.. but for some reason i wore it out quicker then the 404.. its y i went back to 404s.. but i do agree it hooked up killer.

Interesting the different takes you get on the wear characteristics of the MX51. Most of the feedback has been favorable in that regard. Rick's comments on lean angle echo those of several others.

I have found the MX31 to work exceptionally well as a front tire in sandy or DG soils, and even passably well on dry hard pack. I'll be trying a 31 in the rear once my last 952 wears out.