426, a good bike?

6 replies to this topic
  • 1967c10

Posted August 18, 2009 - 04:12 PM

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. we just purchased a new ttr 125L for my fiancee, and now it is time for me to find a bike. After looking, I am finding som 1999-2003 yamaha 426's for real cheap. So i was just wondering, are these bikes good and reliable, or are they money pits? I know that the race type 4 strokes can be bad news if you don't keep up with maintenace. So if someone can school me on these bikes that would be much apreciated!

• tmc55

Posted August 18, 2009 - 04:22 PM

I have a 2000 426f and the bike is a beast and very reliable.

• USED YZ426F

Posted August 18, 2009 - 05:03 PM

I guess the better question would be what is your riding level? The 426 can be an absolute beast and very hard to control if you don't have some riding experience. If you are new to riding, I would suggest that a YZ400/426/450 may not be the bike to learn on. A TTR-225/230/250 would be a better learning bike.

They are very reliable bikes, if the maintenance has been kept up. If not, well they can be a short ride away from a very expensive repair. But all used bikes can be a bit of a crap shoot in that regard.

If you do get it, change the oil right away and check/adjust the valves. Replace the timing chain and you will probably have a pretty reliable machine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted August 18, 2009 - 05:38 PM

It all depends on how much it was used and how well it was cared for. Being very tedious when looking over a used bike will usually pay off.

• DeeCee

Posted August 18, 2009 - 05:58 PM

The YZ 400's and 426's are great bikes. Very reliable in fact. The 426 has some improvements over the 400 so would be preferable to go for.

Before you buy check the general condition of the bike, check the oil colour (clear oil is good - but could also mean a recent oil change), and check inside the air box (under the seat) as how clean this and the filter is will give you some idea of how well the bike has been looked after. Also general cleanliness in the hard places to clean will give some idea of how much tlc the bike has had.

• 1967c10

Posted August 18, 2009 - 06:37 PM

I guess the better question would be what is your riding level? The 426 can be an absolute beast and very hard to control if you don't have some riding experience. If you are new to riding, I would suggest that a YZ400/426/450 may not be the bike to learn on. A TTR-225/230/250 would be a better learning bike.

They are very reliable bikes, if the maintenance has been kept up. If not, well they can be a short ride away from a very expensive repair. But all used bikes can be a bit of a crap shoot in that regard.

If you do get it, change the oil right away and check/adjust the valves. Replace the timing chain and you will probably have a pretty reliable machine.

Well I know that I am not a expert rider by any means, but I can do ok. I just sold my KDX 200 about a week ago, and i could ride that pretty well. I know that it would still be a big jump to a 426 ( I am guessing about 10 ish more horsepower), but I have just been seeing some nice couple year old bikes going between $1200 and $1600. To me that just seems like a decent deal if the bike is in good shape.

• Michael Cahill

Posted August 18, 2009 - 07:58 PM

A 200 to 426 is a big jump, its alot more power, and alot different power delivery. (slow and smooth vs. instant strong power)

but if you think your a good enough rider, and are up for the challange, the older yz's are the way to go :thumbsup:

very reliable :worthy:
proven by the fact that the basic bike design hasn't changed a bit over almost 10 years.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.