Best aftermarket waterpump?

14 replies to this topic
  • Quinndog

Posted August 18, 2009 - 01:05 PM

Took the 08 WR450F out for 2 days of poker runs (30 miles each) with the 9 & 10 year old grandkids and with the slow riding and quad stack ups on the trail, my bike got REALLY HOT and boiled about 1/3 of the coolant out, and thats running Engine Ice and shutting it off when stopped.....a whole lot of clutch slipping did not help, but no choice. Any sugjestions on an aftermarket water pump, or should I just go with the Boysen pump and housing?:thumbsup:

• crf250r_motorhead

Posted August 18, 2009 - 01:17 PM

ive heard good things about the boyesen water pump

• tribalbc

Posted August 18, 2009 - 01:41 PM

I have the Boyesen on my 07 and it's a vast improvement. It can still boil but I boil alot less than when I ran my bike without it.
I like slow, gnarly technical singletrack...... with lots of hills :thumbsup:

• Quinndog

Posted August 18, 2009 - 03:08 PM

Sounds good, I think I'll order one tonight! thanks for the info guy's!!!! I have a Trail Tech Vapor, and it was reading a max temp of 273 degrees. I don't know how accurate it is but I know she got HOT!!!!

• tribalbc

Posted August 18, 2009 - 07:55 PM

Sounds good, I think I'll order one tonight! thanks for the info guy's!!!! I have a Trail Tech Vapor, and it was reading a max temp of 273 degrees. I don't know how accurate it is but I know she got HOT!!!!

Would be good if you could post your temp differences after in similar conditions.
I know another TT member did and he was getting quite the temp difference, but it was road riding so it would be good to see the difference offroad.

• Quinndog

Posted August 19, 2009 - 12:28 AM

Not a bad plan, I think I'll run a pretty tight local trail before and after the install and try to keep the variables as low as possible (outside temp ect) and see how it comes out. Boyesen site says 30 Degrees. I dont know how much difference Engine Ice makes, it did not seem to make much difference in my street bike (ZX-14). If it’s worth it I’ll get one for my 08 YZ250F also.

• tribalbc

Posted August 19, 2009 - 06:08 AM

Not a bad plan, I think I'll run a pretty tight local trail before and after the install and try to keep the variables as low as possible (outside temp ect) and see how it comes out. Boyesen site says 30 Degrees. I dont know how much difference Engine Ice makes, it did not seem to make much difference in my street bike (ZX-14). If it’s worth it I’ll get one for my 08 YZ250F also.

Sounds good, keep us posted :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncampion

Posted August 19, 2009 - 06:51 AM

For your type of riding, you might want to consider installing an electric fan on one of the radiators. I think air flow is your problem, not so much water flow.

• Quinndog

Posted August 19, 2009 - 03:11 PM

Do you know of a fan setup that fits? It's also street legal, so a fan would REALLY help in traffic.

• ncampion

Posted August 20, 2009 - 06:26 AM

Try a search, there have been past threads about people installing fans.

• nitronaf

Posted August 20, 2009 - 06:40 AM

im using a modquad impeller in combo with fluidyne radiators on a supermoto 06. runs great. never hits over 90C at lights no fan

• FMAGX

Posted August 20, 2009 - 07:16 PM

Here is a link to some fans that I've seen used.
http://www.spalusa.c...goryBody&c=FAMO

• ncampion

Posted August 21, 2009 - 11:28 AM

Here you go.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=806674

• Quinndog

Posted August 21, 2009 - 11:27 PM

Sweet!

• klossWR450

Posted August 24, 2009 - 02:35 AM

nitronaf, where is your temp sensor situated? just curious coz I run WR motard with Boyesen pump+engine ice and the hottest I've seen was 75C, normal running 55-60 which might be too cool, my sensor is on the left radiator upper hose

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.