To grease or not to grease???

8 replies to this topic
  • sunnymex

Posted April 01, 2003 - 06:17 PM

OK, so lately I have heard a lot of people saying that since air filters are so good these days that it is not really important to grease the edges of the filters anymore. I also just read this in Motocross mag today. Any input on this idea. Has anybody not greased lately?
Sunny

• Big_D

Posted April 01, 2003 - 07:51 PM

I have run 3 different filters in my BRP: Stock, UNI without the frame, and UNI with the frame. I always greased the filters that used the stock backfire screen. But since I got the UNI that comes with the Al frame I have stopped.

I use No-Toil and love that stuff, and my feeling is that with the extra layer of foam that makes the frame retainer the edges are stuffed with SO much foam pressing on the fairly wide edge of the UNI frame that "dusting" my engine does not seem likely.

I have been riding in the semi-desert dust bowl known as Pueblo and have not seen any sign that dust is getting in the air box.

My $.02 on this is with the UNI filter that comes with the support frame you can get away without greasing the rim.
:)

• sunnymex

Posted April 02, 2003 - 06:53 AM

I use the NoToil also. It almost makes cleaning the filter fun. Well not really but definetely easier. I also use the AL frame that comes with the Uni-Filter. I will give the no-grease idea a shot and see what happens. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 02, 2003 - 07:44 AM

My opinion:

A little grease is very cheap insurance. No Toil makes a filter grease that is easy to apply and easy to clean. Riding in the dust of Baja I would be a little leary of running without grease.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CoreyClough

Posted April 02, 2003 - 01:11 PM

Do I agree with Ryan here? I guess he's right. Why take a chance in a little dirt/dust reducing the life of your engine from passing thru the edges of the filter...possibly. Take it out of the equation, and grease it anyway, for safety's sake.

• Cabokid

Posted April 04, 2003 - 06:00 PM

I actually know sunny and have had to clean his air filter...stop whining about the great KAK and smear it on..you always make me do the dirty work anyway :)

• bigtom17

Posted April 05, 2003 - 07:20 AM

I will be greasing for now on myself. May issue of dirt rider mag has a article about air filters and makes not of the BRP filter and they also say dirt will get in. It makes some good points.

• Rokatt88

Posted April 05, 2003 - 11:10 AM

The No Toil system rocks in my opinion. I use the No toil grease as a precaution, and it all disolves away in no time when you clean the filter. I then use the No Toil solution to wash the inside of the side panal and around the rim of the air box. Works slick and there is no muss or fuss.

CaboKid, I see you play sax. We should start Band! Call it the BRP Blues Band :D Of course, I don't have any Blues when I'm riding my Pig...It ROCKS! :)

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 06, 2003 - 06:34 AM

Sunny,
After reading Motocross magazine (the BRP is not an MX'er) read the May Dirt Rider. There is an article about maintaining air filters on specific bikes. The BRP is included and they say it is 100% necessary to grease the filter or buy a PC racing Pro Seal.

Ryan

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.