Changing Sprockets

12 replies to this topic
  • thumperyz450f

Posted August 17, 2009 - 09:05 PM

Changing my front and rear sprockets because they are wasted and got the rear one done no problem but can figure out how to do the front one?? Any help would be great thanks. By the way the bike is a 07 yz 450f.

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted August 17, 2009 - 09:08 PM

Whats the problem? It's just a Nut and washer bent around the Nut...

• husqy360

Posted August 18, 2009 - 02:14 AM

press on rear break chain on and turn with a big socket.

• Justin89

Posted August 18, 2009 - 09:04 AM

Or use an impact socket:smirk:

• cowboyona426

Posted August 18, 2009 - 09:19 AM

press on rear break chain on and turn with a big socket.

Or put a tire iron or something similar between the spokes at the rim, roll the tire ahead until your tire iron is up against the swing arm, then put your socket on the nut. Use constant steady pressure and it should break loose. Much easier to do it this way by yourself. Tapping on the end of the wrench with a good size hammer sometimes helps to break the nut loose too.

• YamaLink

Posted August 18, 2009 - 06:32 PM

I've had luck just putting it in gear and QUICKLY and forcefully undoing the bolt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Crazyzilla

Posted August 18, 2009 - 08:33 PM

Or put a tire iron or something similar between the spokes at the rim, roll the tire ahead until your tire iron is up against the swing arm.

Your joking right? O.o

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2009 - 09:00 PM

Your joking right? O.o

No.

My personal choice is a piece of ash wood that I keep for that purpose, and that, or a hammer handle or something else wood or plastic is a bit better choice than a tire iron, but it works very well. Keep the wood, or whatever, as close to the rim as you can.

• Wiz636

Posted August 18, 2009 - 09:02 PM

My personal choice is a piece of ash wood that I keep for that purpose

I prefer oak. Seriously.

• LumpyBoy

Posted August 19, 2009 - 02:53 AM

The torque on the nut is 75Nm so it can be both loosened and tightened by standing on the right side of the bike and pressing down on the rear brake with your foot while working your socket wrench on the nut. Real easy.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 19, 2009 - 06:57 AM

Your joking right? O.o

No.

My personal choice is a piece of ash wood that I keep for that purpose, and that, or a hammer handle or something else wood or plastic is a bit better choice than a tire iron, but it works very well. Keep the wood, or whatever, as close to the rim as you can.

I prefer oak. Seriously.

Nope, not joking one bit. A piece of wood is a much better idea, all I had handy the other day was my tire iron. The key thing is to put it up against the rim so you don't bend/break your spokes.

• dirtymunkey

Posted August 20, 2009 - 11:34 AM

I am trying to change a front sprocket on a 2002 yz250f and am having a hard time also. What size is the nut that is on there? I hit it with some PBblaster and have let it sit for a day now.

• grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2009 - 11:39 AM

Seems to me it's 27mm, right hand (normal) thread.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.