Quick question - OEM 2006 Muffler repack

5 replies to this topic
  • gabrams

Posted August 17, 2009 - 08:08 PM

I'm going to repack my muffler on my 06 yz450 and i have one question. I found the answer relative to a yz426 but never clearly on the 450, are the rivets i drill out the ones closest to the pipe or cap? Then i assume you just remove the can, slide pack kit on, and seal with RTV and replace rivets. I'm going to use the Moose repack kit. Anyone have any luck replacing the rivets with sheet metal screws for convenience? Thanks for responses.

• FinchFan194

Posted August 17, 2009 - 08:13 PM

cap and my buddy uses sheet metal screws on his Promoto Billet endcap but the stock canister is pretty thin I would just rivet IMO.

• SXP

Posted August 18, 2009 - 06:13 AM

[COLOR="Red"]cap[/COLOR] and my buddy uses sheet metal screws on his Promoto Billet endcap but the stock canister is pretty thin I would just rivet IMO.

I just replaced the packing on my 07 YZ pipe and I only had to drill out the rivets towards the front of the can (NOT the end cap). I also used the Moose cartridge kit. I had trouble sliding the perforated core of the pipe through the cartridge without tearing anything, so I just unwrapped the pillow, wrapped it back around the core and taped it back up with some clear packing tape and then shoved everything back together. Nice improvement in tone and sound (quieter) of the exhaust.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted August 18, 2009 - 06:21 AM

Yeah you need to do the side with the pipe (front like SXP said). When you slide out the pipe all the old packing will come out with it. It's very very hard to get the old packing out if you just take the end cap off. Once you get the old packing off and clean the pipe, put the new packing around it and slide it back in and seal it up.

• gabrams

Posted August 18, 2009 - 05:34 PM

it's a 3/16" rivet correct?

• FinchFan194

Posted August 18, 2009 - 07:34 PM

I am not sure on the size rivet. I have a rivet kit so I just use whatever size fits the tightest but 3/16" rings a bell. If you want to repack your muffler I suggest doing it from the cap so you can repack the cap as well(its not that hard the factory stuff slides out in one big peice usually)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.