Athena BB Kit Longevity?

6 replies to this topic
  • outcast623

Posted August 17, 2009 - 05:19 PM

I recently bought an Athena 478cc bigbore for my 03 yz450f and after reading through the instructions to it, they recommend a new piston after 15 hours! I usually tend to believe the manufacturer on their own specs, but is this realistic? I was hoping for maybe more like 50-60hrs, is this because it is a 2 ring piston setup? maybe fixed by a 3 ring piston?

also they specify 96 octane.. what are your thoughts on this?:thumbsup:

• outcast623

Posted August 19, 2009 - 05:08 AM

Man my questions must suck.. two threads and no replys to either:ride:
Any help/insight? Im starting to think maybe I should have just gone with a Hi-comp piston and stage 2 cams. but idk

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2009 - 08:51 AM

I don't know whose piston Athena is using, but there are two main factors in piston longevity, other than the obvious stuff like getting enough oil, keeping temps under control, etc.:

• The fit to the bore should be as tight as is practical. This keeps the piston running straighter, reduces wear, and improves heat transfer.
  • The design and construction of the piston itself. Pistons with single compression rings can wear faster than those with more conventional ring set ups, but they don't necessarily have to. A lot goes into piston design, and some people don't get it right. A three ring piston can be made poorly enough to last half as long as a good two ring, so it just depends.

It sounds like they might be trying to cover their butt here, or perhaps just going with a worst case scenario, like having Bubba race it for 15 hours, but 15 sounds pretty short to me. Might wait to see if anyone who has used the Athena kit has anything to say about it.

As far as octane goes, it sounds as if the piston is a 13.5:1. I spent a little time trying to find out if Athena is a US based company, or Euro/Asian, but I couldn't find it right away. That might bear on the stated octane requirement. Most countries outside the US use Research Octane Number, which is somewhat higher than the US Anti-Knock Index. The Yamaha manual calls for 95 RON Octane, but 91 octane from a US gas pump is more than adequate. In most cases, pump premium works in high compression YZ450's, too. If you ride in cool temps at sea level a lot, you could have some trouble with that, but most people don't.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mx369

Posted August 19, 2009 - 09:50 AM

I have the same kit in a 06 yz450f. I have 37 hours on it with no problems. I know Im a vet rider but I run it hard. MX. Change oil and filter every 3 hours. Hourmeter on bike. And I use ONLY YAMALUBE oil in it. Very happy with this kit.

• outcast623

Posted August 19, 2009 - 10:00 AM

I don't know whose piston Athena is using, but there are two main factors in piston longevity, other than the obvious stuff like getting enough oil, keeping temps under control, etc.:

• The fit to the bore should be as tight as is practical. This keeps the piston running straighter, reduces wear, and improves heat transfer.
  • The design and construction of the piston itself. Pistons with single compression rings can wear faster than those with more conventional ring set ups, but they don't necessarily have to. A lot goes into piston design, and some people don't get it right. A three ring piston can be made poorly enough to last half as long as a good two ring, so it just depends.

It sounds like they might be trying to cover their butt here, or perhaps just going with a worst case scenario, like having Bubba race it for 15 hours, but 15 sounds pretty short to me. Might wait to see if anyone who has used the Athena kit has anything to say about it.

As far as octane goes, it sounds as if the piston is a 13.5:1. I spent a little time trying to find out if Athena is a US based company, or Euro/Asian, but I couldn't find it right away. That might bear on the stated octane requirement. Most countries outside the US use Research Octane Number, which is somewhat higher than the US Anti-Knock Index. The Yamaha manual calls for 95 RON Octane, but 91 octane from a US gas pump is more than adequate. In most cases, pump premium works in high compression YZ450's, too. If you ride in cool temps at sea level a lot, you could have some trouble with that, but most people don't.

When I got the piston/cylinder I measured the piston to cylinder gap and it was right in the middle of the factory specs..

I also checked in the the compression ratio and I think its 12.4:1 which might be a little better with the 92 octane we have here in Iowa..

• outcast623

Posted August 19, 2009 - 10:01 AM

I have the same kit in a 06 yz450f. I have 37 hours on it with no problems. I know Im a vet rider but I run it hard. MX. Change oil and filter every 3 hours. Hourmeter on bike. And I use ONLY YAMALUBE oil in it. Very happy with this kit.

Thanks for the input! it helps alot:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2009 - 10:03 AM

12.4:1 is in the same range as stock compression. If you had no problems with the stock piston, you should have none with this one with regards to fuel.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.