Dead Spot In Throttle

4 replies to this topic
  • BANSHEE

Posted August 16, 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hey,
I have an 04 450 I bought used three years ago....As far as I know it's stock except for the fmf power core muffler. I had a quickshot II put on it last year. It seemed to help a little, but the bike still has that dead spot when the throttle is opened up a little too quick. I have had a mechanic in town tell me that I need the zip tie fuel screw, and that the cam timing needs to be adjusted for the quickshot. Is this guy telling me the right thing as far as the cam goes? I don't want this guy to touch my bike if he doesn't know what he's talking about....I also have a friend who has an 05 450, all he did was put a #40 leak jet in and the zip tie screw with NO quickshot, and he said once he adjusted the fuel scew that now the dead spot is completely gone.
This bike has plenty of power for me...in fact I beat a crf450 from bottom to top and the guy weighs about 40 lbs less than me...all I want is to get rid of the dead spot. should I put the stock cover back on the carb and do the leak jet and fuel screw? or leave the quick shot on and do the same as above, or does having the quickshot mean I need to to some extra things.
I'm sure you guys can help me with this, and I would greatly appreciate it.
Thx,

Ray

• Anssi

Posted August 17, 2009 - 05:51 AM

Replacing the stock fuel screw with the Zip-Ty one will do nothing for the performance of the bike. It's sole advantage (a big one, IMHO) is that it makes it a lot easier to adjust the fuel screw compared to the stock one.

I would replace the quick shot with a cover that has an externally adjustable leak jet (R&D Power Pump or Quickshot 3, for example). Of course they are more money than a couple of leak jets, but oh so much easier to play with the jet to get the best performace.

If not, then get the different size leak jet and try that. It is the proper way to go but might take a few tries with different sizes to get the correct one.

I put in the cheapest adjustable leak jet cover I could find (don't remember the brand) and made the leak jet larger because I thought my bike had too much of a hit when opening the throttle.

PS. the mechanic may have been talking about the timing of the accelerator pump, not the cams that open the valves. It's not a bad idea to at least check it.

PPS. I just realised the thread was in the WR forum and I only have experience with the YZs. The information should still be applicable and I am sure people will correct me if I said something that is not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DansDR

Posted August 17, 2009 - 08:40 AM

I have an 04 doing the same thing but I have the Zip Ty screw and the Quickshot. It got better with the Quickshot but I figured its was just that 4-stroke bog and I'd have to live with it. Maybe one day when I have money to waste i'll pick up one of those fancy adjustable leak jets.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 17, 2009 - 12:09 PM

I have an 04 doing the same thing but I have the Zip Ty screw and the Quickshot. It got better with the Quickshot but I figured its was just that 4-stroke bog and I'd have to live with it. Maybe one day when I have money to waste i'll pick up one of those fancy adjustable leak jets.

Just spend $10 (at the most) and get a 40 leakjet from the stealership. That will help a lot.

• William1

Posted August 17, 2009 - 12:17 PM

Just spend $10 (at the most) and get a 40 leakjet from the stealership. That will help a lot.

+2 on this. An 04 the carb is so easy to get to and adjustable leak jet is a waste of money as is the quikshot.

Get the #40 Leak Jet.
Do the oring mod.
Check and confirm the AP squirt just misses the slide.

You will be out less than $15.00

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.