200 lbs to heavy for a 250f?

10 replies to this topic
  • darknesss

Posted August 16, 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hello, i have a 2009 yamaha yz450f which i have been using for trail rides and sand pits for the past 4 months with little problem, i love the power for those. Went for my first ride at an actual motocross track recently, and i found the 450 to have way more power then what i need for my skill level, and i want to start riding mostly at the track (had a few good scares there on my 450) and im thinking a 250f will be much better for my skill level. Considering trading my 450 for a 250, but im a bulky lad (200-205) wondering if this is to heavy to run a 250, and looking for any other advice as to whether or not this would be a good/bad idea. Thanks...

• Charlie755

Posted August 16, 2009 - 02:36 PM

Hello, i have a 2009 yamaha yz450f which i have been using for trail rides and sand pits for the past 4 months with little problem, i love the power for those. Went for my first ride at an actual motocross track recently, and i found the 450 to have way more power then what i need for my skill level, and i want to start riding mostly at the track (had a few good scares there on my 450) and im thinking a 250f will be much better for my skill level. Considering trading my 450 for a 250, but im a bulky lad (200-205) wondering if this is to heavy to run a 250, and looking for any other advice as to whether or not this would be a good/bad idea. Thanks...

Just my .02 I weigh about 185-190. I agree on the 450F being too much bike for an mx track. I like the 450F for trails and ride one of my sons 250fs on the mx track. The suspension works for me. The SSS suspensions on the Yami's work really well. My son only weighs about 140lbs but is also an intermediate rider about to turn pro so his suspension is pretty aggressive. I dont ride nearly as fast as him on an mx track so I think you would be fine like I am. You may just have to stiffen the compression up some. I jumped an 85ft table top with his stock suspension and overshot the landing a bit and still it wasnt too bad. It bottomed out but didnt hurt. You probably wont like the 250F on trails after riding the 450F but it also depends on what type of trails you ride. I have to shift the 250F too much on the trails I ride so I prefer the 450F there. On the mx track I am waaay more comfortable on the 250F and if I get tired it doesnt get away from me like a 450F does. Good luck what ever you decide. :thumbsup:

• darknesss

Posted August 16, 2009 - 02:44 PM

i guess maybe its a matter of deciding weather i want to ride trails, or ride track, thanks for the advice

• thumpertime

Posted August 16, 2009 - 03:01 PM

We have similar features there fellow rider. I gave up the track scene years ago. Now I just ride fast trail riding. Both bikes are good for track. It just depends if your synced in with your bike and if your comfortable with the two off sets of power style and weight of the bikes. For open desert, it's perfect for me especially nice hill climbs. I can climb hills with an agressive vert on 4th gear! Ya, your really need to decide which style you love the most and stick with that.

• 505Fire

Posted August 16, 2009 - 05:34 PM

I weigh 200 pounds and did quite well on a 250F for 3 years. I really enjoyed the bike and placed quite well overall in hare scrambles and did just fine on a moto track. I'm not a big moto rider though. I'm on a 450 now and really enjoy it more because it fits my riding style better with all the torque I don't have to rev the bike out so much to pull me along.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sonic

Posted August 16, 2009 - 05:45 PM

I agree I love not having to rev the bike out. Just stick it in one gear and let it chug you around the track without much effort. For me i'm less worn out on a 450 because I let it do all the work without having to rev the thing to the moon.

• Charlie755

Posted August 16, 2009 - 05:47 PM

I agree I love not having to rev the bike out. Just stick it in one gear and let it chug you around the track without much effort. For me i'm less worn out on a 450 because I let it do all the work without having to rev the thing to the moon.

Very good point. I have learned this as I've ridden more. I just know how I get on an mx track when I get tired on a 450F. Yes I should stop when I get tired. :thumbsup:

• simpsc

Posted August 16, 2009 - 05:52 PM

I would stick with the 450 just learn to take it easy for a while. Your riding skills at the MX track will increase and you will eventually want the extra power. Especially when you come out of a tight turn with a large jump immediately after the turn. You will be glad you have the power of the 450 to hurl you over the jump.

• Mudkipz137

Posted August 16, 2009 - 07:54 PM

Sorry didn't read whole thread.

200 is not too heavy for a 250f. My uncle is about 250 and rides a 07 yz250f and I can't keep up with him, and I'm riding an 06 yz250f weighing in at 180. If you want get a heavier spring, but you should be fine!

I will say though I'm advancing to the 450 here in a week or two. Selling jeep and my 250f, getting a 450. I like the 250 lightweight, but a lot more work is involved with shifting and gassing. I rode a 450 all weekend and it was so nice putting it in 1st on all the goat trails and not having to shift once.

• Anssi

Posted August 16, 2009 - 10:58 PM

I have an -07 YZ250F and a -09 YZ450F. I am faster even over a moto on the 450, but like to ride the 250 quite a bit to make myself a better rider.

I am 200 lbs.(I'm also 6'4" and there's not much extra to lose) and yes the 250 can struggle to clear some jumps if you don't hit the turn before properly but it's not too bad.

I ride MX exclusively and I think I will switch to the 250 for the races since I am a top-20 rider in my class (our MXB class is basically run-what-you-brung) but never get to pass anyone when I get top-5 starts on the big bike.

• ajd187

Posted August 17, 2009 - 04:36 AM

I rode a 250F for about 2 years and I'm 235.

It was fine, but I'm on a 250T now which I like better. I can ride it a gear lower and it is like a tractor up hills.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Kawasaki KX450F vs Honda CRF450R by mxriderscrf

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Worth rebuilding a '00 YZ250? by mr.boombastic

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

HELP- Bad head shake on cr 125 by mxracer77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

New 2015 CRF 450 Opinions by mstngmatt

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  105 replies
Forums
Photo

Honda MB5/CR80 Hybrid by mitsudriver274

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.