Scorpion Racing Radiator Guards

8 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted August 16, 2009 - 01:33 PM

I finally got around to installing the Scorpion Racing radiator guards that have been sitting on my workbench for a couple weeks and I must say that I am very impressed.

Every once in awhile you buy something that is even better than you hoped for and these fall into that category. I have used a couple other brands of radiator guards and they were always a PITA to install and required louver cutting or shroud trimming and even removal of the stock YZ braces that are on the newer models.

The Scorpions are burly. They are machined perfectly. Extra effort was put into the design so that they can be used with the stock braces in place, with the existing louvers (without modfication), and without having to trim the shrouds. They can be installed easily without having to remove the radiator hoses, and they look great.

To top it all off they have great customer service...The owner (Steve) is a rider and hand delivered them to me at a race.

There are FIVE cross braces, three in back and two in front, and they are much beefier than the big-name manufacturers. The sides are machined out of billet aluminum. Very nicely I might add.

Here you can see the inner plate machined so that you can use them with the stock braces.

Posted Image

Here you can see the stout cross braces and the recessed cross brace screws on the outboard sideplate. The lower louver is screwed ONLY to the radiator lower tab, and the lower shroud bolt screws into the the Scorpion's own tab so you do not have to try to make all three line up :thumbsup: Shroud installation was a breeze with out pushing/pulling/tweeking.

I give this product a 10/10!

Posted Image

• 426 NOOB

Posted August 16, 2009 - 06:57 PM

Wow, those do look extremely stout and also stylish. Great writeup, Where can you get them and how much do they run?

• Kasjok

Posted August 17, 2009 - 12:10 AM

Hehe I was just repairing my braces the other day and thought to myself that when I were to design radiator braces, they would be simple in design, 6 cross braces (ok, here`s 5) and everything made of a bit beefier parts then those poor dented braces I see every now and then.

• Wiz636

Posted August 17, 2009 - 06:13 AM

Wow, those do look extremely stout and also stylish. Great writeup, Where can you get them and how much do they run?

They are in British Columbia...keep in mind that the prices are in CDN so if you are paying with US dollars it is less.

http://www.scorpionracing.ca/

Looks like they are doing free shipping to the US right now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 17, 2009 - 08:25 AM

They are, in fact, so beefy that I wonder if they present a danger of breaking the radiator lugs off the frame....

Nicely done. I particularly like the feature of having two discreet bolts for the louver and shroud.

Scorpion also makes a couple of good looking skidders for the YZF/WR.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted August 17, 2009 - 08:43 AM

i have there skidplate on my 450 and its one of the best if not thebest skidplate for woods riding out there for the yzf

• Six5

Posted August 17, 2009 - 05:41 PM

Wow, those braces are BEEFY! I might have to look into those.

• SparksXR426

Posted August 17, 2009 - 09:14 PM

You have to hand it to those guys, they make a nice product. I only realized they were around and only 15 minutes away from me AFTER I bought my guarding.:thumbsup:

• LumpyBoy

Posted August 22, 2009 - 04:56 PM

They are, in fact, so beefy that I wonder if they present a danger of breaking the radiator lugs off the frame....

I doubt it. Shouldn't be any worse than billet aluminum, like the bulletproof designs guards (http://bulletproofde...com/Yamaha.htm). I have run them for years and taken some nasty spills with no issues.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.