Anyone going to desert 100?

5 replies to this topic
  • bart9505

Posted March 29, 2001 - 02:30 PM

Is anyone in the northwest going to the 31st Annual Desert 100, near Vantage, WA on April 21, 22? I'm going to do the 50-mile poker run (same track) on Saturday, and see how I feel about the race on Sunday. Anyone have any trouble making it 50 miles on a tank, when pushing it a bit? ('01 426)

• trailguy

Posted March 29, 2001 - 04:07 PM

We may be there, coming out of Wenatchee. Plan on doing the poker run, but not the race. 50 miles should'nt be a problem on the 01' fourtwentysix.

• ButtonFly

Posted March 29, 2001 - 06:33 PM

Could be there... not sure about it. More info as it gets a bit closer?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jj

Posted March 30, 2001 - 07:34 AM

I had a chance to ride the course last week, what a blast. I love riding the desert.

I was riding with a guy that has 4th overalled the race in the past. That was a humbling experience... :)

My buddies and I might run the poker run, not sure about the race yet.

• bart9505

Posted March 30, 2001 - 01:00 PM

How much is the trail used, and can you ride on it anytime? I just assumed the trail would be cow traffic except for the race weekend, but I would like to get an idea what to expect. Since you've seen it recently, let me know what you saw. Thanks

• jj

Posted March 31, 2001 - 09:14 AM

Bart, Unfortunately the course is closed to the general public 363 days for the year. It's actually private land. I happen to know a guy that has permission to ride it any time he wants too :)

The course...Fun...Fast

I've been getting a lot of questions about that lately. Here is my advise, for what it's worth.

1. Stand up, stand up, stand up, STAND UP!!
2. Stand up.
3. Look as far forward as feels comfortable and then look 20ft further.
4. Watch for those small side trails that angle off from the main trail. They are usually there for a reason. i.e. whoops, rock, mud. I've found that 99% of the time they lead right back to the course. LOOK AHEAD!
5. Faster works better than slower over the rock fields. Pick a comfortable speed and then add 10 miles and hour.
6. Use vasiline to seal your goggles to your face. Keeps the dust out.
7. Use all of the protective gear you own. If you bail out there you're gonna feel it.
8. Use a high tire pressure I run 16.
9. Learn to drink water while you ride. Drink more than you normally do.

JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.