Anyone going to desert 100?
Posted March 29, 2001 - 02:30 PM
Posted March 29, 2001 - 04:07 PM
Posted March 29, 2001 - 06:33 PM
Posted March 30, 2001 - 07:34 AM
I was riding with a guy that has 4th overalled the race in the past. That was a humbling experience...
My buddies and I might run the poker run, not sure about the race yet.
Posted March 30, 2001 - 01:00 PM
How much is the trail used, and can you ride on it anytime? I just assumed the trail would be cow traffic except for the race weekend, but I would like to get an idea what to expect. Since you've seen it recently, let me know what you saw. Thanks
Posted March 31, 2001 - 09:14 AM
I've been getting a lot of questions about that lately. Here is my advise, for what it's worth.
1. Stand up, stand up, stand up, STAND UP!!
2. Stand up.
3. Look as far forward as feels comfortable and then look 20ft further.
4. Watch for those small side trails that angle off from the main trail. They are usually there for a reason. i.e. whoops, rock, mud. I've found that 99% of the time they lead right back to the course. LOOK AHEAD!
5. Faster works better than slower over the rock fields. Pick a comfortable speed and then add 10 miles and hour.
6. Use vasiline to seal your goggles to your face. Keeps the dust out.
7. Use all of the protective gear you own. If you bail out there you're gonna feel it.
8. Use a high tire pressure I run 16.
9. Learn to drink water while you ride. Drink more than you normally do.
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender